• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Glasgow - good or bad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Fantastic city. Plus you're close to mountains and sea (west coast). Edinburgh's only a hour away.
    Agree you have to sort out nice place to live. Apart from that it's all good. Well, maybe the rain is a bit of a downer...
    That, and if you sound like a southern softie you'll have ye heed kicked in.

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
      Glasgow reminded me of Hackney minus the charm. Nice if you like concrete jungles.
      WTF parts did you say in?

It's a great city, has an edge to it sure, but equally the west and parts of the south and some part sof the north (The posh bits - bearsden etc) are nice. Great nightlife, loads of pubs, super frinedly people. If you consider that it's catchment area is around 2+ ,million, it's where most of the action is in Scotland.

In terms of acrchitecture, sure there's really awful bits - but equally it was the 2nd city fo the empire and parts of that are reflected in architecture - especially the west end, my favourite bit, which is handily chock full of students, professionals/bohemian sort of, plus millions of pubs and restauraunts.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Someone whos in Glasgow

I got a gig in Glasgow 6 months ago and got it extended this month. I came from London.

To be honest, this place is alright "just about". Iv been told that i should better avoid East and North sides. Im stayin in south side sharing flat with a guy and that guy just been mugged couple of weeks ago somewhere in East Glasgow after a drinking session...so there you go.

Public transport is sh!t(too much wait for just few minutes journey) and as my clientCo in city centre with not enough parking available, i have to use it for work. Apart from work, i always use car, to avoid dodgy and drunk people in buses and trains.

You will find yob culture quite common in most of the places. Weather is sh!t. Its always rainy or windy or combination of both.

Oh and worst nightmare for drivers. Roads of Afghanistan and Iraq might be better and Im not takling about suburbs or countryside, Its about City centre.

People at work and offices are quite nice and decent but other people like Bus drivers, Security staff in office building etc are quite rude. Its not just me, but a polish guy at my work, who has worked in London also told me the same thing.

OK, now good points. You will be quite close to natural sightseeing places.I've explored quite a few nice Lakes and countryside places, which i would never see if i would be in London.

So, the city itself hasnt got anything worth noticing, however, in suburbs and outside city there are quite decent places to go. In terms of cities, Edinburgh is far better than Glasgow and its just an hour drive.

Comment

Originally posted by denver2k View Post
          So, the city itself hasnt got anything worth noticing, however, in suburbs and outside city there are quite decent places to go. In terms of cities, Edinburgh is far better than Glasgow and its just an hour drive.
          Just curious, you spent much time in the west end of glasgow?
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Just curious, you spent much time in the west end of glasgow?
            OK ! Westend and Shawlands areas, they are decent places, I must say....

I go there for occassional dining .....

By the way, no offence to anyone. Whatever i said, it was just my personal opinion. It may be coz I am outside London first time and things there are quite different as compare to other places. But, it gave me an oppurtunity to understand Scottish people and have learned little bit about their customs and history....which is a good thing for me...

Comment

I always find Shawlands a bit of a 'sunday league footballer' type area, there are some decent pubs though.

I stay in East Ren but the GF is demanding to move back to the West End and I have to view a couple of houses there tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I always find Shawlands a bit of a 'sunday league footballer' type area, there are some decent pubs though.

I stay in East Ren but the GF is demanding to move back to the West End and I have to view a couple of houses there tonight.
                I stay in East Ren too, would never think about moving back to the west end again. Where are you going to park?
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by denver2k View Post
                  guy just been mugged couple of weeks ago somewhere in East Glasgow after a drinking session...so there you go.
                  East Glasgow on the pi$h, I'm surprised he wasney merdered. Grew up in this city and even I had the mutten jeff not to wonder to the east end by the time I was 11.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Like other have said it's like any other big city. If you're a contractor staying in the West End is no problem and forget the car use the underground!

South side if nice too especially pollokshields but not that good for getting into the city centre, you're better off staying in the west end.

Great place for the shopping and if you insist on driving take the car towards strathmore for a walk mugdock park is it? Lovely spot for a walk if you've got a couple of hours to spend.

If you are feeling really posh you could rent a place in Bearsden or even posher still in Milngavie
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Like other have said it's like any other big city. If you're a contractor staying in the West End is no problem and forget the car use the underground!
                      West End around Byres Road is very nice - all big victorian tennaments, near the University, also Victoria Circus is very nice, and it's all like a 10 minute underground ride into the city. Loads to do in the city itself, if you like clubbing, gigs, pubs, shopping, culture and the like, and the countryside is amazing. Great place, just avoid the rough bits (East end and some of the southside) unless you want a malkie (heedbutt) from a ned (chav).

Comment

Working...
                      X