• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't wait to come home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    It is an expression used by people on one land-mass to denigrate a supposedly less important land-mass.

In this case the poster is probably working in continental europe.
    My cousin who lives on one of the smaller islands of Shetland refers to the largest island of Shetland as the mainland. It's all relative.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
      So I've been working on the mainland for 3 months, found out the other day that contract won't be renewed. Can't wait to come home.

I've had fun, went snowboarding a fair few times. And lived in a different city. But I'm getting pretty damn bored here.

I miss London, friends and family.

So I have 23 days to go! roll on home!

Does anyone else stay in the place they are working when they're away from home? or do you go back every weekend? Going back every weekend might have made it better, but then again I can imagine it would have seemed like even more of a chore if I was having to travel so much.
      If you think where you are is the "mainland", I suggest you stay there.

You won't be missed.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        My cousin who lives on one of the smaller islands of Shetland refers to the largest island of Shetland as the mainland. It's all relative.
        Correct. We say continental or mainland Portugal to distinguish it from the Madeira and Azores archipelagos. People here say in the UK say "mainland Europe" when they need to exclude the British Isles.

It's just a geographical term, and I don't think it infers any denigration.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto View Post
          Correct. We say continental or mainland Portugal to distinguish it from the Madeira and Azores archipelagos. People here say in the UK say "mainland Europe" when they need to exclude the British Isles.

It's just a geographical term, and I don't think it infers any denigration.
          The people who live on the South Island of New Zealand refer to it as "the Mainland".

They certainly mean that to denigrate the North Island.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
            Does anyone else stay in the place they are working when they're away from home? or do you go back every weekend?

My original intention was to come home every other weekend but constantly changing schedules and the ever increasing costs of flights means I come back once a month and make a long weekend of it.

Much as I love coming home & seeing people, I have to confess that I'm not looking forward to coming back that much. Half the nearest town (Frome) is boarded up, 3 out of the 4 closest pubs have closed in the last year and everywhere just seems dead. Since I hardly ever watch tv it looks like I'm going to have to find myself a new hobby when the time comes!
            Last edited by wurzel; 16 April 2009, 11:14. Reason: quote block

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              The people who live on the South Island of New Zealand refer to it as "the Mainland".

They certainly mean that to denigrate the North Island.
              It would be interesting to know whether the North Islanders get upset by that or use the term themselves when they need to refer to the South Island.

I say that because "mainland Europe" is used all the time by the English when they need to refer to the rest of Europe while excluding themselves. You only need to watch a weather forecast.

Comment

Working...
              X