• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Portfolio Management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by voron; 17 October 2005, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by voron
      Franco, you need to empty your pm folder, it's full
      Oppsss
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
        Ancient thanks for the link. Any real life experience of the said subject?
        Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
          Ancient thanks for the link. Any real life experience of the said subject?
          I would be a little cautious about OGC material. It's main application is the public sector, and they have never implemented anything.

Creating theory is easy. Translating it into reality is the difficult part.

Comment

..hence my question on real world experience and anecdotes..
            Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

..hence my question on real world experience and anecdotes..
              And hence my prior post
              As I said before, I believe portfolio management is a largely untouched area in terms of well documented methods. Looking at the OGC page, what does it really say? It's just woolly, high level promotional stuff...
              "projects are difficult and complex, you need to use methods otherwise you are screwed, methods are good". How many times have I evaluated a client's so-called change/project/programme/benefits/ICT strategy to find it is exactly that? Lacking in any real substance.

If you liked the OGC comments, fine, we can work along those lines. What you need is a Business Architect. Luckily, I am available at £700 p/d
              But seriously, you need a structure akin to programme management, but remember the projects aren't working towards an ultimate outcome, so be cautious on the benefits management.
              Align operational and strategic goals? Fine, a structure for that can be developed. Establish a group responsible for strategy. New idea? Fine, let's evaluate it and see whether it fits the strategic goal: yes? Good, develop further and produce a business case. No? Okay, is it a corporate enabler? Yes, good, develop further and produce a business case. Still no? Reject it.

And so we go on....business case approval, forming a team, execution....

How do the teams report? I think this really depends on the nature of the organisation, what structures are already in place. Certainly you need some sort of PMO function.

And so we go on...

Comment

OK Voron... any real world experience?
                Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

OK Voron... any real world experience?
                  Yes, of course.

Comment

Would you care to share?
                    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Would you care to share?
                      I thought I just did

Okay, to specifics. What specifically do you need to know?

Comment

Working...
                      X