• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Britain always had a crap economy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    So vote Labour then, by that logic.
    I don't need to, millions on benefits and in the public sector will do it for me.

Boomed!

Comment

Britain only ever has a crap economy at the end of a Labour term or at the beginning of a Tory term.

Comment

Was thinking about this. In colonial times, the economy was sustained by exploiting the colonies for cheap raw material and captive markets (witness how Britain really did not have a Great Depression a la the US or Germany).

After the war, Britain had Marshall Plan money, then North Sea Oil and finally cheap credit.

But what have been the real strengths of the British economy, if any? Of course there was a point when manufacturing was huge - but was there ever a time when British goods were considered "quality" like Japanese and German goods are now?
        Britain did not have a great depression as we came off the gold standard early and the pound dropped.

This time I dont think the pound dropping will be enough to save us from a severe recession : but we should avoid depression.

Our real strength has been exploiting Johnny Foreigner. Maybe they will get their revenge?

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          Britain only ever has a crap economy at the end of a Labour term or at the beginning of a Tory term.

Do try to keep your party political cretinism out of this thread.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Hmmm. Is that true? During the 2nd world war most of the Germany kit was far better than the British.
            Although you still Morris Minors ocassionally I suppose.
            The Germans would not agree with you there. Some of their gear was better, some of ours was better, I think all the nations involved has their strengths

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Our real strength has been exploiting Johnny Foreigner. Maybe they will get their revenge?BP
              I tend to agree. Or population and use of resources doesn't appear to be sustainable except when supported by a larger poorer proportion. A global economy may not be a zero sum game, but that doesn't mean we all get richer either.

Comment

Do try to keep your party political cretinism out of this thread.

Some people just cannot accept the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  Some people just cannot accept the truth.
                  tolerate cretins.

HTH
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

tolerate cretins.

HTH

Yes indeed, I do find that very difficult Sasguru.

Comment

Was thinking about this. In colonial times, the economy was sustained by exploiting the colonies for cheap raw material and captive markets (witness how Britain really did not have a Great Depression a la the US or Germany).

After the war, Britain had Marshall Plan money, then North Sea Oil and finally cheap credit.

But what have been the real strengths of the British economy, if any? Of course there was a point when manufacturing was huge - but was there ever a time when British goods were considered "quality" like Japanese and German goods are now?
                      Here is a fine example of British engineering know-how and raw materials being exported to the other side of the world:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...pera_House.jpg (SFW)

Although, the customer took over 50 years to pay the bill in full so I am not sure how good a piece of business that was.

Comment

Working...
                      X