• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A sudden chill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    this is really serious. If wilkinson ice shelf goes we will be under 10 feet of water
    Excellent! I've always wanted to live by sea.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Excellent! I've always wanted to live by sea.
      I'm guessing you don't want 100s of pikeys sharing your seaside view though?
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I must confess that I am starting to harbour serious doubts.
        I doubt that I will be able to drink ten cans tonight so I might just have nine instead.
        whats was he saying ?

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

this is really serious. If wilkinson ice shelf goes
          Is that where they keep their 24 for a quid frozen sausage rolls?
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            Is that where they keep their 24 for a quid frozen sausage rolls?
            They've probably been there for 10000 years....
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Even a 1 per cent loss of that ice could raise sea levels by 65cm (25in), the Norwegian Polar Institute said yesterday.
              Yeah, if the antarctic interior was around 500 storeys high!! Now who made such a preposterous claim?? Oh yeah............the Norwegian Polar Institute...a group entirely dependant on continuing funds to continue their invaluable computer modelling bunkum. Jeez, only a complete cretin would take this piffle at face value. Who started this thread? Oh yeah........now the mystery is unravelled!

NEXT!!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

this is really serious. If wilkinson ice shelf goes we will be under 10 feet of water
                You might be, I live in the Pennines so to quote the film "I'm alright Jack".

Comment

Andy2, you must have missed a couple or three lessons at school. If you went to a comprehensive, then my commiserations, but surely they taught you this stuff, as it is quite basic. Think on Archimedes, you maybe had a picture of a bearded Greek guy to colour in one day.

The Wilkinson ice shelf is floating. If it melts the sea levels will not change by anything at all.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Andy2, you must have missed a couple or three lessons at school. If you went to a comprehensive, then my commiserations, but surely they taught you this stuff, as it is quite basic. Think on Archimedes, you maybe had a picture of a bearded Greek guy to colour in one day.

The Wilkinson ice shelf is floating. If it melts the sea levels will not change by anything at all.

lol. spot on. plus andy, its already melted , best put yer armbands on.

Heres an interesting one - if none of the ice at the poles melted, sea levels would lower by a foot every year as the ice piles up due to precipitation.
                    Melting ice is vital for our survival.

hic

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post

Archimedes just didn't like silversmiths, he liked to get them topped so he made it all up.

Anyway is the entire Wilkinson shelf floating, that would make a difference. If it is not all floating then surely melting would actually decrease sea levels due to density changes (assuming the ice and the ocean were a continuous body).

If the body is floating then it makes not a jot of difference, if it is not floating then it is required that the non floating part must be > 10% more than any submerged part due to the the relative densitys - i.e. water takes up about 10% less volume than ice thus if it melts it can either melt in place if it is not floating or take up the same volume if it is floating.

In any event polar ice only makes up about 2% of water on the planet. 97% is in the oceans.

I sure as hell can't get my head round this ice melting = sea levels rise like hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X