• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Man-Made Global Warming Poll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Incorrect.

With each ice age (a natrually occuring clycle) over the last 600,000 years there is a corresponding rise in CO2 levels - this is scientific fact. This time around man have elevated CO2 levels beyond anything previously seen by at least 3/4x normal levels.

Both these points are incorrect.

CO2 has been shown to rise when the planet has been warmer, not colder. And it is a lagging indicator (it gets warmer, then CO2 rises).

CO2 has been significantally higher prior to the evolution of man.
    Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
      Threaded - could you provide links to that. This contradicts the 'evidence' I have seen (does not make me right or wrong - just curious).
      Yes, there does seem to be contradictory evidence on this. One side uses tree rings to infer CO2 levels and get ludicrously low numbers in return, which they then use to infer that there is more CO2 now. You try putting plants in such low level CO2 environments, they just don't grow, most grass seeds don't even germinate.

Then there is a guy who has been drilling ice cores and got some more sensible numbers, by testing the CO2 levels in trapped air, try finding it on the web, is fun: Craig Loehle, "1,500-Year Climate Cycles, Broken Hockey Sticks, and Ocean Cooling," Energy and Environment Vol. 20, 2009.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post

CO2 has been shown to rise when the planet has been warmer, not colder. And it is a lagging indicator (it gets warmer, then CO2 rises).

CO2 has been significantally higher prior to the evolution of man.
        True, we're actually within a few thousand years to one of the minimums so it should be going up.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

CO2 has been significantally higher prior to the evolution of man

Yes correct - CO2 levels are linked to a warmer climate. BUT Warmer climate then triggers instability in the global climate.

CO2 is now at its highest recorded level using 600,000 years of ice core samplings.

Comment

I'm heartened that many people here can see for what it is the crock of tulip that is "man-made" Global Warming / Climate Change and that people can seperate the cause from the effect.

The climate changes, always has done and always will. Driving a Ford Focus does not make **** all difference. Get over it.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/last_400k_yrs.html
            Last edited by DimPrawn; 7 April 2009, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I'm heartened that many people here can see for what it is the crock of tulip that is "man-made" Global Warming / Climate Change and that people can seperate the cause from the effect.

The climate changes, always has done and always will. Driving a Ford Focus does not make **** all difference. Get over it.

thats a double negative.
              If driving a ff does not make ****all difference, then driving a ff does make a difference.

It's little mistakes like this that will cause the seas to rise and swallow us all up

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I meant a wind powered Ford Focus obviously.

Comment

Originally Posted by DimPrawn

So you're saying that:

cutting down the majority of the worlds rain forests (that provide our oxygen)

industry and consumers dumping pollution either in gas form or physical (not just CO2), Sewage, Toxic Waste - Soil and water poisoning.

....amongst other things ...that i cant be bothered to list.

Will have ZERO effect on the earth's climate?

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
                    So you're saying that:

cutting down the majority of the worlds rain forests (that provide our oxygen)

industry and consumers dumping pollution either in gas form or physical (not just CO2), Sewage, Toxic Waste - Soil and water poisoning.

....amongst other things ...that i cant be bothered to list.

Will have ZERO effect on the earth's climate?

You are mixing up general pollution and green issues with the very specific issue of AGW which is related to greenhouses gases and specifically CO2.

And our output of CO2 will have almost zero effect.

And yet the whole "Carbon Trading" "Carbon Taxes" bulltulip is merely designed to allow government to extract taxes.

Comment

honestly guys, is this argument still going on? i used to believe in man-made global warming, but in the face of this, the Contractor UK forum - THE Contractor UK forum - so decisively voting it down, i've had no choice but to change my mind. i know when i'm beaten!

no doubt there will be some red faces on those eco-boffins in the global science community once they hear about this and have to go back to Science School and start again!
                      Originally posted by BolshieBastard
                      You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Working...
                      X