• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Managers are tulip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mich - quite a good list for starters! I'd like to think that I fit all of those!

and for this...

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Mitch as a PM I agree with the points you posted at the start of the thread.

When it comes to the "Team Player" argument, as someone that's led loads of them I feel that a team player has to have these attributes:-
    • Gets on with the tasks set in an efficient manner
    • Reports honestly and concisely on progress if asked
    • Will honestly, calmly and frankly point out problems if they arise
    • Will offer advice at meetings, not be afraid to contradict other peoples views, but will accept other peoples views as valid
    • Will listen
    • Is prepared to help out a team member with advice or actual assistance if they have time
    • Is prepared to ask for help
    • Not be arrogant despite having better knowledge and skills
    • Be professional and friendly at all times
    Oh and I agree totally on the giving of credit.
    a good list too, though I would add that the team is not always the 'development team' or 'test team' or 'support team' or whatever, it can be the 'virtual team' of the different groups involved in the project - every one has to be able to work with everyone else effectively even its a developer training up or helping a support person or explaining to a user why something works the way it does.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      most managers sole interst in climbing the greasy pole at the expense of all others.

they have no hesitation in lying, cheating or being deceitful to get what they want.

they rarely support their staff

when given a bonus pot for them and their staff they will invariable keep the majority for themselves

they will take the credit for any good work and ensure that the blame for any errors are passed onto their staff

they often earn their positions by kissing azz and never ever stand up for you when questioned by their boss.

decision made are based on what is best for them - never what is best for the company or with any interest in the impact it may have on the staff

they expect everyone to work extra hours for free and yet when asked for a payrise take it as a personal insult

Maybe this is what makes a good manager nowadays cos that is what I seem to see from people in management postions.

obviously this is all doing the UK economy loads of good given the current boom times we are in

Good God! I had no idea you worked for Motorola!!
      Bad luck!
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
      X