• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Health and Safety paramount?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this "right", as exercised by the Police in question, is a recent addition to the Community Policing Initiative. It is enshrined in Law below the paragraph that authorises them to fill your head with bullets if you look even slightly swarthy and dare to break into a trot within 2 miles of a Tube Station (e.g. Stockwell), and above the paragraph that allows them to stop and search you for walking on the cracks on the pavement.

HTH
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      But (sigh) you just don't get it. Liberty? Is it in your game parameters?
      I can see where you are wanting to go with this, but there is not yet enough information in this case to jump up and down.

Case 1.
      IF the people wanting to go in and get themselves killed were about to do something clearly stupid and pointless
      THEN
      well done the copper for being a good citizen.

Case 2.
      IF the people were about to go into a house with a small fire in one room and could clearly get in and out with a good chance of success
      THEN
      soak the copper in petrol and ignite the bugger.

Case 3.
      IF the Police are under the impression they have the right to prevent us going about our lawful business because they feel like it and this is another example of just that
      THEN
      we're fooked.

I am not yet convinced it is case 3. I hope it is case 1. If it is case 2, then I hope his colleagues make his life hell and the nightmares never end.

Mind you, for all involved, the nightmares will probably never end anyway.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Expat posted : But (sigh) you just don't get it. Liberty? Is it in your game parameters?
        From a Libertarian point of view, I could quite rightly argue that I should be allowed to do anything I so desired.

However, I recognise (even if you do not), that I do not live in a vacuum, on the planet of BGG alone, and as such, accept that my actions, if they endanger the lives of others, should at the very least be challenged.

Society may grant us certain rights, but these are tempered by responsibilities.

Without the latter, anarchy ensues.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          From a Libertarian point of view, I could quite rightly argue that I should be allowed to do anything I so desired.

However, I recognise (even if you do not), that I do not live in a vacuum, on the planet of BGG alone, and as such, accept that my actions, if they endanger the lives of others, should at the very least be challenged.

Society may grant us certain rights, but these are tempered by responsibilities.

Without the latter, anarchy ensues.
          Accept your point, and do not need to argue more.

Except to say that liberty is not a right granted by society, but innate. It is the other way round, all powers of society and government - ALL powers - are granted to society by us. People are paramount, society and government are created by them, for them.
          Last edited by expat; 30 March 2009, 17:57.

Comment

Expat posted : Except to say that liberty is not a right granted by society, but innate.
            Agreed 100% and thanks for clarifying, which I agree with.

What worries me the most however, is that whilst liberty should be innate, and we place our trust in the authorities to protect our liberty, by using the powers we invest in them, there is always the clear and present danger that such trust can be, and has been, abused on occassions.

State abuse of power...now that's another story entirely...
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Agreed 100% and thanks for clarifying, which I agree with.

What worries me the most however, is that whilst liberty should be innate, and we place our trust in the authorities to protect our liberty, by using the powers we invest in them, there is always the clear and present danger that such trust can be, and has been, abused on occassions.

State abuse of power...now that's another story entirely...
              Hmm, I am ashamed to admit that I hadn't paid enough attention to your sig

Comment

Working...
              X