• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private School

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, and no regrets, because a Classical education has enabled me to hold my own in discussions, and given me an enduring love of literature, history and culture.

It's easy to say that such an education would make one more intelligent, but that's a fallacy.

It just means I have more knowledge on some some subjects than perhaps those studying at a comprehensive may have.

That's no fault of their own, either. It's the fault of the system.

I believe all schools should aim high and teach a Classic education system to all, not just the few.

Art, Literature and Culture should not be the reserve of those taught to appreciate them, and everyone should be given an equal opportunity.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Yup, and no regrets, because a Classical education has enabled me to hold my own
      Fnarr fnarr!!
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

No need, I passed my 11-plus and was creamed off.

Comment

^^ WSBS

(What ShaunBoy Said)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            No need, I passed my 11-plus and was creamed off.
            Me m8 Dave sed he wud av bin a doctor but for 1 hegsam. It was his 11-plus innit.

Comment

No. Mrs BP did though : seemed to do her alot of good. She describes it as giving one a key to lots of doors.

BTW where is the poll?

Comment

I went to a couple of independent schools before I was 12, then did the "important" years in a state comprehensive. The first independent school was a boarding school when I was 7-10 years old and my parents were working overseas. That was a great place and I loved every minute (nearly). The second school was just horrendously old-fashioned, verging on Dickensian! I doubt I ever learned a thing of any value there and I asked to move. The comprehensive was a good move.

One of my own children goes to an independent school now and he loves the place. It's perfect for him. Two of my other boys are more suited to the state schools and are happy there and would hate to be moved (actually, one of them's finished now, but he would have hated to be moved at the time). Not sure about my youngest yet, but he's the smartest of them all (not a big challenge) and might even get into the grammar school near us, which is free but more like a fee-paying school. Big competition to get in there though.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Thankfully not, but if she's up for a bit of the old soapy *** ****, then I've got a brown paper bag & a bar of soap ready...
                  Here is the very package for you then.....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03...smith_package/

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    Yup, and no regrets, because a Classical education has enabled me to hold my own in discussions, and given me an enduring love of literature, history and culture.
                    Ah yes, a classical education is a good thing, but I don’t understand how being thrown in an icy lake and having my head rammed up against a boiling hot heater pipe by a prefect really helped me in life, apart from persuading me to take up weights training.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Ah yes, a classical education is a good thing, but I don’t understand how being thrown in an icy lake and having my head rammed up against a boiling hot heater pipe by a prefect really helped me in life, apart from persuading me to take up weights training.
                      There you are, you've answered your own question.

I took up the bazooka.

Comment

Working...
                      X