• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flight Costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't give them ideas !!

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
      Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at the overall costs, 5 seats for 550 quid is pretty good.

My comment is more aimed at the fact that the extras just keep on coming, and you have no way of knowing how much you are going to have to pay until you pay. Especially as there is a £50 charge to pay for the seats (a tenner a seat)

As for the landlord screwing me over, the missus has been dealing with him and eventually blagged him down considerably from the starting point. He may have gievn up in exasperation in the end as we got it for about a grand for 2 weeks in a 5 bed villa on the coast. Not too bad I thought.
      Is it cheaper, then, if you stand?

I'd never travel by RyanAir...but I'd still be interested in the breakdown of these charges and surcharges. Does that price include their baggage check-in charge?
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

This is RyanAir.

4 Adults, 1 Child, 1 infant.
        • Tickets 5p
        • Charge for infant to sit on lap £20
        • Charge for 5 Bags - £100 (£10 per bag per direction)
        • Charge to check in - £100 (£10 per person per direction)
        • Surcharge to check in with infant - £100 (£10 per person per direction)
        • Airport Taxes - £170 (£20 each out, £14 each back)
        • Charge for not using a Ryanair Credit Card - £50 (£5 per person per direction)

I think the reason behind all the extras these days is that if you do not take a flight you can claim back the tax on it, so people were booking loads of these 1p flights and deciding on the day before whether to take them or not. So this way, if we don't fly, I can only get back £170 out of the 550.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

Charging you £20 to have an infant sat on your lap is well cheeky!
          Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

This is RyanAir.

4 Adults, 1 Child, 1 infant.
            • Tickets 5p
            • Charge for 5 Bags - £100 (£10 per bag per direction)
            • Charge to check in - £100 (£10 per person per direction)
            • Surcharge to check in with infant - £100 (£10 per person per direction)
            • Airport Taxes - £170 (£20 each out, £14 each back)
            • Charge for not using a Ryanair Credit Card - £50 (£5 per person per direction)

I think the reason behind all the extras these days is that if you do not take a flight you can claim back the tax on it, so people were booking loads of these 1p flights and deciding on the day before whether to take them or not. So this way, if we don't fly, I can only get back £170 out of the 550.
            I can't see how RynaAir gets away with these cocked up charged..I mean you're paying £20 for the hassle of an infant sitting on your lap the entire flight? I hope for that you get a bulkhead seat with a hammock to keep the baby while it sleeps! Is there extra overhead when a parent checks in with an infant - other than checking the passport?

Next they'll charge you for using the toilet...oh wait they're already thinking of that. Perhaps they'll charge when you use a airsick bag!
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by BrianSnail View Post
              Charging you £20 to have an infant sat on your lap is well cheeky!
              Especially when you don't even have any kids.
              I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

There are ways I could get round some of this but they are not overly evident from the website.

If I had booked with a Ryan Air Credit Card, that would reduce things by 50 notes. Booking everbody separately rather than as a single group would reduce the cost by £80 as well, but then you run the risk of not getting all the seats of course.

Liek I've said before I still think the overall cost is fine, just the manner in which it is applied winds me up.
                "See?"

Comment

The costs of my commute to Germany typically broke down to:

3rd largest cost element: the flight itself.
                  2nd largest: airport taxes and charges
                  1st: airport parking
                  or
                  1st: public transport to airport.

Yes, flying is cheap.

Comment

On my weekly commute to a contract in Dublin, the flight including taxes etc was always cheaper than the taxis to and from the airport (or the cost of driving plus parking) The flight was also the quickest part of the trip.
                    "See?"

Comment

On my weekly commute to a contract in Dublin, the flight including taxes etc was always cheaper than the taxis to and from the airport (or the cost of driving plus parking) The flight was also the quickest part of the trip.
                      Yep - I'm off to Dublin tonight for the weekend. Flight was £20 return including taxes. To get from city centre Manchester in a Taxi to the airport will be £25
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X