• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Someone tried to sell me a permie job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    sorry off topic slightly - but why would a tester need to know java?

The xml and databases - ok will accept that a tester may need to go look see what is in there.

but java?
    DOn't ask me. I see adverts for testers every day where they specify some version of some development tool. Aside from xml and sql it's usually irrelevant what brand of software you test; tell me what the application is supposed to do and I'll find out whether it does that, and whether it does nasty things you don't want it to do. If I'm selecting a test team I actually deliberately choose some testers who don't have experience with a particular package or language, because they can more easily stay objective and avoid taking things for granted. I guess the only reason why they're asking for java is tht HR are a bunch of numpties who need something to fill in the ISO9001 standard vacancy form.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
    X