• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IBM to acquire SUN Microsystems?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's weird, I was looking at buying a second hand RS/6000 just yesterday...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      probably by porting Solaris and SUN's range of software to Power.
      Well OpenSolaris has already been ported to zSeries also look at some other acquisitions of IBM recently such as PSI and some virtualisation company which are all part of their plan to allow a cross platform fertilisation of all their products (Hybrid Computing will be a term coming up soon.)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I see it from an application point of view. SUN have at last built up a pretty decent software range, IBM would just get shot of them, it would take mySQL and the rest would be binned forcing yet more onto the steaming pile of crap that is websphere.
        $£(*^%!"*$£%*(£%&("£%$"!)*?&%$*"£*&%(*!^$"£&*?%"^$ *%^ websphere.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          $£(*^%!"*$£%*(£%&("£%$"!)*?&%$*"£*&%(*!^$"£&*?%"^$ *%^ websphere.
          Lol!!! Looks as though we have had the same experience.
          Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

IBM ?

I love 'em - worked for them on a project at IBM Warwick - nice folks.

Made loads of money over the years on IBM Mainframes and other IBM Products.

For the IBM detractors - As they say in Texas - if you think you are so smart - how come you ain't rich.

'Nuff said !

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
              IBM ?

I love 'em - worked for them on a project at IBM Warwick - nice folks.

Made loads of money over the years on IBM Mainframes and other IBM Products.

For the IBM detractors - As they say in Texas - if you think you are so smart - how come you ain't rich.

'Nuff said !
              I'm not a detractor. I spent two and a half excellent years contracting for them all over Europe working with some excellent people. Always been a fan of AIX, OS/390 and the old AS/400 series.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                Always been a fan of AIX, OS/390 and the old AS/400 series.
                So what's wrong with the i5 eh? That's computer age-ist that is. I've a mind to sue.

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  So what's wrong with the i5 eh? That's computer age-ist that is. I've a mind to sue.

Bring back the IBM4341 OS370 and VM/RSCS - when we ate Assembler for breakfast ,the good old days when Systems work was a mans job and to be seen talking to 'developers' was a sign of weakness - when a network meant one blue box talking to another with SNA links over SDLC connections and 3720 Front End Processors - when we ruled the world.

... I do aplogise for that outburst - I didnt meant to offend - its just that things have not been easy recently - look I'd do anything if you let me be a Mason - Id come to the meetings sit at the back and not say anything ... sorry theres the phone - "Hello AJPruffock speaking - how may I help you ?

Oh - youve forgotten your password ... "
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 March 2009, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                    3720 Front End Processors - when we ruled the world.
                    37x5 Front End Processors actually old chap such as the venerable 3725 which looked like a real computer with lots of flashing lights.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      37x5 Front End Processors actually old chap such as the venerable 3725 which looked like a real computer with lots of flashing lights.

You pup - I used to configure 3705's FEPs.

As for the IBM3720 ' the IBM 3720 was a communications controller (front-end processor) made by IBM, suitable for use in an IBM System/390'
                      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 March 2009, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
                      X