• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    In a standard riding position aero losses equal all other losses combined at around 14 mph, and beyond that speed aero losses rapidly becomes the dominant loss. Which is why bikes don't 'travel fast enough for aerodynamics to be a significant factor' - because it becomes too much like hard work at higher speeds. At high speeds a bike can become less efficient than car because of aerodynamic losses.
    Good article
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      I guess the thing with bikes is that different types suit different people, so I'm usually happy with a hybrid for commuting, though I sometimes wish I could get my hands on a 1k+ ultra-light and aerodynamic road bike, just to see how much difference it would make.
      The physics is pretty well understood and I sometimes play around with various parameters to get an idea of the forces and energy involved using different setups, which is a lot cheaper than buying the bikes and bits. Slick tyres help a lot at slow speeds (before aro losses dominate) and the riding position at higher speeds.

Comment

The biggest problem with the pedal bicycle is that the 'engine' ie human is so big & heavy - especially in my case.

If someone can invent one that doesn't need the rider, it would be near 100% efficiency, and the drag could be reduced to near nothing - a simple tube with a sharp point and tiny wheels would do it - almost no drag - triple-A batteries all along inside and a very slim motor inside. Might need some big outriggers with wheels to balance I suppose - then its not a bicycle though.
        "take me to your leader"

Comment

The regeneration of the species through sex and childbirth was the best thing before sliced bread.

It is still the best thing.

Next.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Nothing. here in NL the bread is kept unsliced at the baker, but when you buy it they automatically slice it. I always ask for unsliced bread and am confronted with stares of disbelief. I then explain that the bread stays fresh for longer if it's unsliced and that I rather like really big thick, irregular slices of toast.
            I was introduced to chips & mayo in the NL along with a strange cooked sparrow in the automat's in A'dam.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
              I would have went for knives
              Well, it was until the Hoodies used it for different reasons. :-/.

But I am debating whether sex was the best thing before Sliced Bread, as the nation has bred a generation of Hoodies and Chavs.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
              X