• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Patronising Peston and dumbing down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Well, I suspect that most people are interested in news that may affect them personally.

Whilst the building of a local Sally Army church may not pose a threat to them, a sudden influx of economic migrants most definitely would.

Hence it's reasonable to expect the news to focus on issues that affect people nationally and locally, such as :

Policing & Crime
    NHS provisioning
    Government mandates
    Economic migrants / Asylum seekers
    Education standards and changes
    Local government edicts
    House prices
    Cost of living
    etc...etc...
    Is it me, or is this post completely unrelated to the thread?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's you, I'm afraid.

The previous posts were discussing the point of the media, and what they publish and why they publish it. There was a side point about the BBC, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, but that point had sunk earlier, and was superceeded with regards to the articles the newspapers publish.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

It's you, I'm afraid.

The previous posts were discussing the point of the media, and what they publish and why they publish it. There was a side point about the BBC, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, but that point had sunk earlier, and was superceeded with regards to the articles the newspapers publish.
        You're right - it was all the other posts that are unrelated to the initial one
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ruprect posted : You're right - it was all the other posts that are unrelated to the initial one
          You noticed that too huh ?

I think it's a new thing on the forums, that is becoming more noticable of late.

Start a post, and the replies to it become the "new" post.

No one ever replies to the original post anyone, and only responds to the post above it.

But that's the problem with the London Underground. Too expensive and smells of bodily fluids.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

But that's the problem with the London Underground. Too expensive and smells of bodily fluids.
            I thought you were into that kind of sh!t!

Churchill - In "IGMC" mode!

Comment

Bada Boom !

Thank you Basil Brush !

Funnily enough, I was sitting in the staff room eating lunch, and the discussion revolved around an article in a magazine about a lady who had tried many different types of beauty treatment cream for the face, but who swore on the efficacy of semen.

And yes, there were copious jokes about "facials".

Apparently she pays £200 a pop from the internet for a tube of the stuff.

She said in the article "I did think of the idea of ringing up my male friends, but decided against it.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Isn't his dad a Lord - I wonder if that had anything to do with him getting a job at the Beeb?
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                X