• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well meaning idiots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    WHS.
    But let's put some science on the table:

1. The increase in CO2 cannot trap enough energy by itself to warm the climate above approx. 1 deg. C per century (max) at current rates of increase. Therefore the Global Warming theory is wrong.

Discuss.
    It's not just CO2. Water vapour also absorbs energy, and so do the oceans by warming.

Also, at some point a vast amount of methane will suddenly be released from frozen deposits at the bottom of the oceans (methane hydrates) and the arctic tundra, and weight for weight methane is 20 times (not 20% but 20*) more potent than CO2 as a greenhouse gas.

Give Charlie Boy his due, he's often ahead of the curve and he's right about this too. But I doubt many people are listening right now.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      And another one. I do hope its poor education and not, as I suspect, a low IQ.
      I refuse to rise to your bait or sink to your level. Except to note that the last time I saw a gob like yours, Lester Piggot was sitting behind it

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        I will be persuaded by the scientific research, by the scientific observations or by a watertight theory.
        I will not be persuaded by hysteria, a majority opinion or by insults

I stand by what I said, you are insulting you own intelligence. No need to conduct any research, just see what is popular and go with that, that's how these guy work innit?

Comment

May I suggest to ace, EO and Svallbard, that rather than make fools of themselves any further, they read the following (not to do with climate change, but with the scientific method):

Kuhn "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions"
          Anything by Karl Popper.

When you fully understand the scientific method, you can come back and debate climate change. Until then, you're like a blind man flailing about in a dark room.
          Last edited by sasguru; 10 March 2009, 10:03.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            May I suggest to ace, EO and Svallbard, that rather than make fools of themselves any further, they read the following (not to do with climate change, but with the scientific method):

Kuhn "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions"
            Anything by Karl Popper.
            WHS, and there's also the precautionary principle.

If you demand watertight evidence or confirmation for some drastic outcome, then by the time you get it the outcome may be upon you and too late to do anything about!

Having said that, scientists are only human and need funding. So they do have a vested interest in people going along with their hypotheses and believing their conclusions.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              It's not just CO2. Water vapour also absorbs energy, and so do the oceans by warming.

Also, at some point a vast amount of methane will suddenly be released from frozen deposits at the bottom of the oceans (methane hydrates) and the arctic tundra, and weight for weight methane is 20 times (not 20% but 20*) more potent than CO2 as a greenhouse gas.

Give Charlie Boy his due, he's often ahead of the curve and he's right about this too. But I doubt many people are listening right now.
              OK - almost a scientific response.

Question 4: If +ve feedback occurs in the atmosphere (through water vapor or out-gassing of methane) - why hasn't the atmosphere boiled off or frozen solid in the last 4 billion years ?
              Bored.

Comment

1. The increase in CO2 cannot trap enough energy by itself to warm the climate above approx. 1 deg. C per century (max) at current rates of increase. Therefore the Global Warming theory is wrong.
                2. Models: Urban Heat Island effect is greatly understated in AGW models. As is natural climatic variability (you know, sun, orbit, oceans, that kind of stuff). The source code (Fortran I think) has been analysed and found to be ...tulip. Various "adjustments" used in models are un-substantiated. I could go on. Therfore the models are GIGO rubbish or in CUK speak TITO (Tulip in Tulip Out)
                3. Peer review is not in any way equal to scientific method. Never has been, isn't now.
                Maybe go and get a cup of tea and then have a read through this little list? (It answers your questions and many more.)

Comment

Actually apart from a general undesratnding of the scientific method, which seems to be sorely lacking, some knowledge of statistical inference is also necessary.
                  So I don't expect the ignorant (for that is what they are) on here to progress any time soon.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                    Maybe go and get a cup of tea and then have a read through this little list? (It answers your questions and many more.)
                    Coffee thanks.
                    Took a look, here's a bit:

Assessment of Urban Versus Rural In Situ Surface Temperatures in the Contiguous
                    United States: No Difference Found
                    THOMAS C. PETERSON
                    National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, North Carolina
                    (Manuscript received 26 May 2002, in final form 23 February 2003)
                    ABSTRACT All analyses of the impact of urban heat islands (UHIs) on in situ temperature observations suffer from inhomogeneities or biases in the data. These inhomogeneities make urban heat island analyses difficult and can
                    lead to erroneous conclusions. To remove the biases caused by differences in elevation, latitude, time of observation, instrumentation, and nonstandard siting, a variety of adjustments were applied to the data. The resultant
                    data were the most thoroughly homogenized and the homogeneity adjustments were the most rigorously evaluated and thoroughly documented of any large-scale UHI analysis to date. Using satellite night-lights–derived urban/rural metadata, urban and rural temperatures from 289 stations in 40 clusters were compared using data from 1989 to 1991. Contrary to generally accepted wisdom, no statistically significant impact of urbanization could be found in annual temperatures. It is postulated that this is due to micro- and local-scale impacts dominating over the mesoscale urban heat island. Industrial sections of towns may well be significantly warmer than rural...

I think they're wrong. It's also a self-contradicting statement.
                    Bored.

Comment

I think they're wrong. It's also a self-contradicting statement.
                      DOn't worry your little brain over it. You don't have the capacity.

HTH.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X