• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This will go down well with the Jocks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make a nostril-damus prediction. The rich jocks will carry on boozing, because they can afford the price hike, so by a process of natural selection, the well educated, intelligent jocks will die out due to liver disease. We will be left with a race of loud-mouthed, thicko, boorish peasants North of the border

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I fully support these actions by my government. I only wish they'd gone the whole hog and restricted off licence sales to over 21's. Everyone in Scotland knows we have a problem with the booze; the ones who deny it are most probably the biggest part of the problem.

The whole point about setting a minimum price per unit of alcohol has actually come off the back of a study by the University of Sheffield. So not really an idea thought up around a boozy dinner table.

In this article you've got the British Medical Association and the Police both saying this is a good idea whereas you've got the Portman Group and the Scottish Retail Consortium against it. I wonder which of these bodies has the best interests of society as its agenda rather than maintaining profit margins. I mean it’s not as if you can buy a two litre bottle of super strength cider for less than a 2 litre bottle of water is it?
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
        I only wish they'd gone the whole hog and restricted off licence sales to over 21's.
        Yes, like banning the sale of heroin has totally stopped the supply to the general public. Everybody does what they are told to do by the government.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Yes, like banning the sale of heroin has totally stopped the supply to the general public. Everybody does what they are told to do by the government.
          I would have thought that you of all people would have a more sensible attitude, considering your avatar.
          Don't you know that drinking is bad for your elf

igmc

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Don't you know that drinking is bad for your elf

Coat? Have a bloody cloakroom, attendant, lobby and hatstand for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              We will be left with a race of loud-mouthed, thicko, boorish peasants North of the border

och eye! the neewww

Comment

Went down the supermarket earlier and decided to do a bit of, ehh, research for the purpose of this thread and the CUK community.

3 litres of 8% cider for 2.89.

I love the bench, it also chalks up another reason why I do not vote SNP.

Comment

A more sensible and grown-up (i.e. without lying about the statistics) solution would be to revert to the old practice of applying duty according to the alcohol content. That way, 8% Wifebeater costs nearly twice as much as a Best Bitter and White Cider disappears off the market. Meanwhile, a nice 3.5% session ale is relatively dirt cheap. And you can't have a nasty fight with 8 pints of session ale inside you - a brawl, yes, but not a Red Bull & vodka fuelled knife fight.
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Over'ere in Europe (most of the mainland, anyway) 16 yr olds can buy beer. Teenage drunkeness is much less of an issue too for some reason. Go figure.

Maybe the jocks really do have a genetic tendancy to alcoholic oblivion. Also possibly it's those nancy do-gooding trossers that govern them that drive them to drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                      Over'ere in Europe (most of the mainland, anyway) 16 yr olds can buy beer. Teenage drunkeness is much less of an issue too for some reason. Go figure.

Maybe the jocks really do have a genetic tendancy to alcoholic oblivion. Also possibly it's those nancy do-gooding trossers that govern them that drive them to drink.
                      It's little to do with our genetics and more to do with the Presbyterianism that was forced upon Scotland. People were told that drinking was shameful so they hid away in pubs, this created an open and closed culture to drinking.

In England there was always the Village pub. In Europe parents would encourage the drinking of diluted wine to children so there was never a problem.
                      Last edited by minestrone; 3 March 2009, 22:33.

Comment

Working...
                      X