• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How clever are you compared to the rest of CUK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just surprised that anybody voted for anything other than the 'top 1%' option. I thought an unshakeable belief on ones own superiority was a required personality trait for a contractor.

Comment

I ticked the top 1% option.

Because I'm not clever enough to count higher than one.

Comment

I voted "below average"
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Sally Anne posted : I voted "below average
          Is the correct answer, which I also voted as well.

The reason being that it would be statistically wrong to choose anything else.

By virtue of not having any reliable means of gauging the intelligence of others, the only thing you can correctly state with more reliability is that "other people are more intelligent than you".

Statistically speaking, a group of other people will always contain enough samples to confirm your statement.

However, by limiting yourself to saying that you are in the 1%, you effectively stack the odds of probability against yourself, because you are saying that out of a group of unknown size, you are within the top 1%.

The odds on such a statement are not as favourable as the more people are intelligent than me odds.

Sally, you chose wisely :-)

I bet the 1%'ers are kicking themselves now
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            Is the correct answer, which I also voted as well.

The reason being that it would be statistically wrong to choose anything else.

By virtue of not having any reliable means of gauging the intelligence of others, the only thing you can correctly state with more reliability is that "other people are more intelligent than you".

Statistically speaking, a group of other people will always contain enough samples to confirm your statement.

However, by limiting yourself to saying that you are in the 1%, you effectively stack the odds of probability against yourself, because you are saying that out of a group of unknown size, you are within the top 1%.

The odds on such a statement are not as favourable as the more people are intelligent than me odds.

Sally, you chose wisely :-)

I bet the 1%'ers are kicking themselves now
            Oh dear...

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              What is intelligence anyway ?
              Remembering to ask your team members if they are eligible to enter the competition before the filming starts...

...Gail
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                OK, I was making a point it's unlikely to average out to anything near what it should be, given the high egos. I realise we won't know that until everyone registered posts, and that is unlikely to happen. Having said that a sample of 30 usually appoximates to normality, so when we get there the result is likely to be similar to the whole population.

edit: we know have a population of 30 (not randomly selected) but 11 are in the top percentile.

Eh?
                Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

I wasn't sure what clever was so played safe and voted for the answer with the most votes.

p.s. being clever isn't very clever.

Comment

Working...
                  X