• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council House origins?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my nanny lived in a council house. Does that count?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Dad came to this country at the age of 17, got a job as an accountants clerk and worked his way up from there without a single penny off the state. He rented a flat, worked worked, got a better job, saved a deposit, bought a nice 5 bedroom detached house in the London suburbs where he lives with my mum, brother and sister to this day. Same house in over 30 years. £30k for god sake, for a 5 bedroom detached in a very nice burb, in the '70's!!!!!

Me on the other hand, hah, snowbnalls chance in hell of emulating my fathers achievments. Not through lack of effort, but sheer government policy and systemic greed.

I am in no worse position financially relative to my father when he was my age, but with asset prices (namely houses) through the stratosphere, I am 10 times worse off when it comes to keeping a roof over my head!

As they say, life's not fair.
      Last edited by Solidec; 2 March 2009, 16:21.

Comment

I grew up in a citroen estate. Bloody cramped it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
          Not through lack of effort, but sheer government policy and systemic green.
          Where's that on the Dulux Colour Chart?

Is it a relation of "Soylent"?

Comment

Who you callin` thick?

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
              Who you callin` thick?
              Someone who uses an apostrophe to shorten a word by one character!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Someone who uses an apostrophe to shorten a word by one character!

Post of the day
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

I used to get free school dinners and go on charity utings : does that count?

Comment

My Dad went into grounds management specifically because it came with a tied property. My parents bought their first house when I was about 10; it was someone else's council house.
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

It wasn't until I was 21, that I visited my first council house. (a band mate's)
                      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X