• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobstats february figures - does not look good out there

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd better sign this extension then.

One of my favourite agents told me last week she's had a massive increase in inquiries from permy redundees.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      Actually things might not be as bad as they seem.

Jobserve has become more of a fishing ground than a job board, for the mainstream contracts at least. I think the agency model is changing, and for the most part the Hollywood principle is in play ("don't call us, we'll call you"). In other words the dip in JobStats points to less fishing, not less adverts.
      The anecdotal information on this forum suggests that fishing is a big problem at present. Idle agents are the devil's tool(s)

No way of telling for sure but I expect that the percentage of ads we sample that are for fictitious jobs is pretty constant and slightly higher during downturns.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      I'd better sign this extension then.

One of my favourite agents told me last week she's had a massive increase in inquiries from permy redundees.
      That is one of the reasons why the contractor market will also get squeezed. A lot of good permanent staff will be losing their jobs at present. I am just trying to say that the data looks bad so if you are a contractor do not rest on your laurels and assume contract extension will happen or that the next gig will be easy to find. There will be more competition for fewer roles so do everything you can to make sure it is not you left on the bench.
      Last edited by jobstats.co.uk; 2 March 2009, 11:13. Reason: the not he...

Comment

http://jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d/Rates.html

Average advertised pay rates are up!

This would suggest the low end of the market is being hit harder than the high end.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
          http://jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d/Rates.html

Average advertised pay rates are up!

This would suggest the low end of the market is being hit harder than the high end.
          I reckon you are right. This is why the really good people have no concepts of recession. They invoice right through them.

Comment

Working...
          X