• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spare a penny mate? I need a wee.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone happen to know what the deal is with aircraft switching off the passenger cabin lights during take-off and landing? You know, the bit where they tell you there's a personal light above your head if you want to carry on reading, but all the other lights go off.

They usually say that it's a regulation and all the airlines do it... except whenever I fly with Lufthansa they don't even mention it. Lights stay on throughout. Has no one told Lufthansa, or is it just an advisory thing which Lufthansa don't agree with?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      Does anyone happen to know what the deal is with aircraft switching off the passenger cabin lights during take-off and landing? You know, the bit where they tell you there's a personal light above your head if you want to carry on reading, but all the other lights go off.

They usually say that it's a regulation and all the airlines do it... except whenever I fly with Lufthansa they don't even mention it. Lights stay on throughout. Has no one told Lufthansa, or is it just an advisory thing which Lufthansa don't agree with?
      Because the captain is diverting power from non-essential equipment to the shields and phasers?

Comment

I block booked myself onto the Friday Ryanair flight into Gatwick for the next few weeks as Easyjet changed their schedule into Bristol meaning I'd have to take a half day off to get home for the weekend.

So far, I've been rescheduled onto the morning Ryanair flight twice . I get an email from Ryanair telling me that if I don't like it I'm entitled to reclaim the cost of the flight. What really irks me is that the evenning flight is still scheduled and I have to take a half day plus all the additional hassle of getting from Gatwick back to the West Country.

What happens I think is this. I book my flights some time in advance so I get a good price. Then nearer the date of departure, the ticket price goes up and as the flight gets overbooked, those who paid less for their ticket are booted off to make room for those paying the premium rate. I know this to be true because I called their helpline (65 cents / min!) and I was told I could get back on the evening flight if I paid the differnce between what I'd paid and the ticket price at that particular time.
        It's frickin scandalous!

Comment

This is another publicity stunt from Ryan Air. They won't really go through with it, otherwise they'll have a plane load of drunk people pissing on the floor. This is a shame because it would be an accurate image of Ryan Air.

Frankly I never consider Ryan Air as an option for personal travel. Just like I don't think about getting the Mega Bus or cycling (or even the train) when I get in my car to travel somewhere in the country.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

It's so your eyes are adjusted to the light if you crash.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              It's so your eyes are adjusted to the light if you crash.
              Right, I can see some logic in that (though I'm not completely convinced of its value). Is it a legal requirement though, because Lufthansa never even mention it?

Comment

Right, I can see some logic in that (though I'm not completely convinced of its value). Is it a legal requirement though, because Lufthansa never even mention it?
                NO, it is so zat ze Germans cennot see ze aeroplane ven it is landing end taking off; uzzervize zey vould know vere ze British airbase is and could bombard it viz V2 rockets, zereby destroying ze Britishers defences end clearing ze vay for vorld domination!
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It's by airline.

Some (Maybe JAL, can't remember) think it's better for you to be able to see your way out clearly.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    NO, it is so zat ze Germans cennot see ze aeroplane ven it is landing end taking off; uzzervize zey vould know vere ze British airbase is and could bombard it viz V2 rockets, zereby destroying ze Britishers defences end clearing ze vay for vorld domination!
                    That's German-ist that is. Carry on.

Comment

It's true - it's so you can see what your about to hit. I remember flying into Manchester one night on a really rough flight and while the lights were on you were not aware as to how bad it was until they turned them off. At the end of Manchesters runway are a load of houses. All you could see was sky..gardens..sky..gardens. Ryan Air would have made a profit from all those customers sh1tting it
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X