• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is wine addictive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Ah, my Beloved, fill the Cup that clears
    To-day of past Regrets and future Fears --
    To-morrow? -- Why, To-morrow I may be
    Myself with Yesterday's Sev'n Thousand Years.
    OOh - I do love a little Poetry !

The Worldly Hope men set their Hearts upon
    Turns Ashes--or it prospers; and anon,
    Like Snow upon the Desert's dusty Face
    Lighting a little Hour or two---is gone.

Comment

Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
      Before we too into the Dust descend;
      Dust into Dust, and under Dust, to lie,
      Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Morning Glory , and--sans End!

Alike for those who for TO-DAY prepare,
      And those that after some TO-MORROW stare,
      A Muezzin from the Tower of Darkness cries,"

Fools and Pruffocks ! your Reward is neither Here nor There!"

Why, all the Saints and Sages who discuss'd
      Of the Two Worlds so learnedly, are thrust
      Like foolish Prophets forth; their Words to Scorn
      Are scatter'd, and their Mouths are stopt with Dust.
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 27 February 2009, 08:31.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
        I managed to get myself into a terrible state at the age of 13 mixing a few drinks in my folks drink cupboard - the upshot being that I had alcohol poisoning the upshot being is that I cannot enjoy drinking alocohol - .
        Do you have two sons and a daughter and live in The Hague?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Do you have two sons and a daughter and live in The Hague?
          Im in Holland right now - but not in Den Haag - but I dont have any children - officially at least.
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 27 February 2009, 08:33.

Comment

Im in Holland right now - but I dont have any children - officially at least.
            My mate's dad has the same symptoms. Occasionally he has a drink, but it doesn't matter how much he has, he always has a hangover for days so he tends to binge a bit
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              My mate's dad has the same symptoms. Occasionally he has a drink, but it doesn't matter how much he has, he always has a hangover for days so he tends to binge a bit
              With myself its a case of I can drink , lets say one glass of wine - or one glass of beer - best if Im having a meal at the time.

Then - if I consume more drink - I have this terrible feeling of utter tiredness and dread - as if Im going to pass out - its pretty scary , so much so I can go for weeks, months with no drink whatsoever - it doesnt cross my mind to consume it ever and would never buy it - so Ive not had a hangover for almost 40 years.

Thats not from any moral view - its just what I believe is called negative reinforcement - bit like bing made to eat a pack of ciggarettes when you're a nipper.

I did smoke cigs for a wee while (due to night shift working on contract-tryng to keep awake , stress etc ) but gave that up - and I advise any other smokers to chuck it - you know you can do it !

My cigarette smoking came about as I used to smoke joints with tobacco - I hardly bother with the Herb Superb these days - but its really good when you are recovering form the cold - oh and I use A BONG - no ciggies !

Well I am from the planet Gong - dont forget !

There was the Door to which I found no Key:
              There was the Veil through which I might not see:
              Some little talk awhile of ME and THEE
              There was--and then no more of THEE and ME.

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 27 February 2009, 08:54.

Comment

But Im curious , please tell me the attraction of alcohol - does it make you feel more sexy ?
                It is as Moscow Mule says a depressant, so the immediate effect is that it cuts you off a bit from the outside world. To most of us, that feels like being a bit more relaxed, which in itself is a terrible criticism of our lives and thoughts. If you drink with other people, then as your uptight inhibitions start to loosen, you will all/both feel better about yourself and the others. Or at least less bad.

The other attractions are more peripheral: it's easily available, it's part of the culture, it's relatively easy to know and control how much you are taking, and with a bit if care, if you overindulge then you will drink yourself unconscious rather than drinking yourself dead.

The obvious snags are: the possibility of doing something dangerous (like driving), the long-term damage to your health, the nearer-term damage to your life, and the very fact that it is part of the culture. It can be hard to stop if all your free time activities seem to have a drink in them.

Comment

Is wine addictive?

Happily, yes.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

According to my Dr. I use to drink 140 units a week (all beer). Since being married I hardly touch the stuff though we do enjoy a glass of wine now and then, but not often.

As wine is a higher percentage than beer I can say yes wine is addictive. Personality doesn't come into it. If you drink regularly in large enough quantities anyone can become addicted to wine/beer/spirits.

Of course we have to clarify what we mean by "addicted". Generally if you have two or three glasses of wine a night and you find it hard to sleep if you miss one night, then like it or not you're addicted. Granted your body will adjust after a day or two but that initial restlessness is the first signs of your body crying out for more alcohol, just like when you first give up smoking and find it hard to sleep.

Comment

As this thread shows there is an epidemic of alcohol abuse in this country. While that is a personal choice, I think the NHS should charge for self-inflicted conditions.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X