• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

washing machine - repair or replace?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
      Just in case this leads to people taking the tops/ backs off their machines, there is usually a large capacitor which remains charged for a short time after it is unplugged so what ever you do dont touch this for a little while after it is unplugged as it will discharge through you leaving you doing your own discharge requiring a change of underwear.

This concludes this numpty alert.
      How long is a short time?
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post

Am tempted to sell it for a tenner on Ebay as faulty and buy a brand new one
        What would the P&P be on that??

We bought a Hotpoint fridge freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer & dishwasher (matching dark silvery colour) and all have been going strong for 9 years so far with one exception when the dishwasher wouldn't drain, luckily there’s a local repairman who's known as the '£25 man', he rewound the motor for ....£25.

It's all we could afford at the time and I have every intention of replacing them with a German brand as they pack up but no need so far.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          How long is a short time?
          Lick finger... touch floor with wet finger.... touch "large capaciter"....
          ZAP! FIZZ! POP!

Define:A short time = a little bit longer than the above.......

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            It's all we could afford at the time and I have every intention of replacing them with a German brand as they pack up but no need so far.
            Just stick an Audi badge on it, makes VW appear better quality when they want to sell the same product at a higher price.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Just stick an Audi badge on it, makes VW appear better quality when they want to sell the same product at a higher price.
              I had an Audi A4 and it was a very nice car indeed, I couldn’t live with the Passat stigma so I was happy to pay the price.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                ZAP! FIZZ! POP!

WHS + SOUND OF FILLING UNDERWEAR

It probably won't kill you anyhow......(disclaimer goes here).

Depends on size of cap, just don't put your hand straight on it. They usually position them right at the top - just where you are likely to rest your hand to lean in.

Minute or two should be more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                  ZAP! FIZZ! POP!

Would it be longer than

Unplug machine, pull machine away from wall, find and unscrew the screws needed to open the machine and then work out how to open it?
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    Would it be longer than

Unplug machine, pull machine away from wall, find and unscrew the screws needed to open the machine and then work out how to open it?
                    probably insert disclaimer here!

It should be...just thought i would give a heads up before someone got a p!$$er.

Finding out what is wrong with them usually involves trying to run them without the covers on though.
                    Last edited by conned tractor; 24 February 2009, 14:22. Reason: Terrrrrible grammar

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                      Apologies in advance for the incredibly mundane nature of this thread - I appreciate that it's verging on Wilmslowesque.

Our 3.5 year old washing machine (Hotpoint) gave up half way through a cycle with a load of warning lights on the front and a small puddle of water underneath. Warning lights disappeared after switching off and back on, but I'm reluctant to try running another wash in case the puddle becomes something a little more severe.

Am tempted to sell it for a tenner on Ebay as faulty and buy a brand new one, but there's the obvious alternative of getting it repaired. Would appreciate any words of wisdom on which route to take and any things I need to bear in mind if I go down the repair route. I'm hopeless at anything DIY by the way so diagnosing and repairing the fault myself is out of the question!

I posted a similar question in similar circumstances. However it turned out the problem was only a blocked drain hose, meaning water couldn't be pumped out of the machine. Disconnected the drain hose from the piping under the kitchen sink and cleared the blockage with a chopstick, reconnected hose, problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                      X