• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

washing machine - repair or replace?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Ideally you want to have already bought a Miele years ago, when they were still built like tanks.
    I bought a Miele three years ago, and sure enough it is built like a tank. But out of curiousity, what are they built like today, a Smartcar ?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I thought Hotpoint were OK. My mum had had them for decades and they always last many years (at least 10). She doesn't live in a hard water area though.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Buy a Miele. Ours has lasted 17 years and my mum’s lasted 23 years.

Plenty cheapness = many headaches

http://www.miele.co.uk/
        WHS, we love ours Mrs Pleomax has been very nice to since i bought it.......
        Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Originally posted by pleomax View Post
          WHS, we love ours Mrs Pleomax has been very nice to since i bought it.......
          You should probably get it balanced to cure that wobble on the spin cycle....
          or maybe not

Comment

On spin cycle i can stand a £1 coin up on edge on the top of it and it dosent fall over, I can not say how impressed i am with it.

I would have rather bought a MacBook granted and had smelly clothes but Mrs Pleomax rules the roost.

Pleomax
            Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              You should probably get it balanced to cure that wobble on the spin cycle....
              or maybe not
              Originally posted by pleomax View Post
              On spin cycle i can stand a £1 coin up on edge on the top of it and it dosent fall over, I can not say how impressed i am with it.

I would have rather bought a MacBook granted and had smelly clothes but Mrs Pleomax rules the roost.

Pleomax
              Swoosh.... signs of humour passing (very high) over Pleomax's head...............

Comment

Lots of hype on t'internet about this one:

http://www.iseappliances.co.uk/index.php?id=1186065672

10 year parts and labour looks particularly attractive, although the machine itself isn't the best looking. Anybody got any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  Why don't you do what any self respecting bloke would do and take it to bits to track down the problem? It might be leaking simply because a hose has worked free. Ours went on the blink over the weekend. It started leaking from the front door and not pumping water out. The pump was easy to sort out because the filter that stops all manner of crap getting into the pump was clogged with bits of paper and coins and other rubbish. Once I'd cleared that it pumped all the water out. I tested it again and the door stopped leaking - but that might have been caused by something in the wash being trapped when the door was closed.

I know full well that if I'd called somebody out to it then it would have needed a new pump at the very least.
                  A member of my family tried that and electrocuted himself into a state of ill mental health in which he remained for 3 years before escaping from his nursing home and falling into a canal to his death. Funnily enough his name was Tony as well.

The family did well off the compensation from the nursing home, used to fund worldwide cruises and new cars (until it run out), but overall I would say the punt it and get a Miele advice is worth listening to.

Comment

Have you checked the filter ? This can get clogged up and cause leaks, and needs taking out and cleaning periodically. See your washing-machine manual that you should have got with the machine. It may give you ideas on other potential problems.

3.5 years is not old for a washing machine. Mine is now over 15 years old and still going strong...touch wood.

Comment

Originally posted by scaramanga View Post
                      A member of my family tried that and electrocuted himself into a state of ill mental health in which he remained for 3 years before escaping from his nursing home and falling into a canal to his death. Funnily enough his name was Tony as well.

The family did well off the compensation from the nursing home, used to fund worldwide cruises and new cars (until it run out), but overall I would say the punt it and get a Miele advice is worth listening to.
                      Obviously you have to be careful with water and electricity but it's not that hard. If you start pulling out hoses with it plugged in then you are asking for trouble. Most washers don't have many parts in them and the pumps tend to be well away from the electrical bits for the obvious reason. If there is water leaking then I'd suspect a hose and check them. It might just be a clip that needs replacing. If its the pump then you can probably get a replacement and fit it. If it's the drum itself then bin it.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X