• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gas bill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    I've just had mine, £750 for the quarter (but £100 of that was actually for the previous quarter).

Victorian 4 bed house, no cavity, old loft conversion, so no loft insulation, 4 year old boiler, wife has heating on 24/7 and thinks the thermostat is like a throttle, the higher you set it the quicker it gets hot.
    It's on offer at B&Q - I saw an ad for it the other day...

Jesus Christ, how sad am I?
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
      wife has heating on 24/7 and thinks the thermostat is like a throttle, the higher you set it the quicker it gets hot.
      Lovely thread on this topic from december
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

This is why I don't like old houses. No cavity insulation, no loft insulation, crappy "period" windows. Draughty creaky old hovels.

Give me a Grand Design's style 21st century house any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          This is why I don't like old houses. No cavity insulation, no loft insulation, crappy "period" windows. Draughty creaky old hovels.

Your concrete council flat is probably quite warm, I imagine.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Your concrete council flat is probably quite warm, I imagine.

Penthouse Social Housing

Comment

As a matter of interest how cold would your houses get if you didn't heat them at all?

My flat temperature rarely drops below 14 degrees C in winter with no heating, and my last quarterly gas bill was only £5 or thereabouts. This temperate climate is no doubt partly attributable to the high thermal inertia of the massive building and heating/insulation gained from other flats in the block. Ditto in Summer, my flat does not get too hot. Also, my flat is south facing, so even in Winter my balcony can be warmed into the mid-twenties degrees C or so.

Comment

Hmmm. All of the above can be addressed at a fraction of the price you'd pay for the 21st century house.

Comment

With the heating off, my detached house went to 15 deg C overnight when the outside temps were well below zero recently, but that was with the heating being on at about 22 deg C during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                    Hmmm. All of the above can be addressed at a fraction of the price you'd pay for the 21st century house.
                    I just don't like old houses. I don't drive a 100 year old car with 100 year old technology and I don't want to live in a house with 100 year old design.

Personal taste.

Comment

I just don't like old houses. I don't drive a 100 year old car with 100 year old technology and I don't want to live in a house with 100 year old design.

Personal taste.
                      Indeed it is, I'm of the opposite opinion. I like the improved tech of some modern houses but the build quality and room sizes can be inferior over older properties. I also don't find them particularly welcoming. A bit cold and clinical for my taste.

Comment

Working...
                      X