• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome To McBritain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Francko View Post
    "Now as I say, one wouldn’t to be too negative - after all, any new jobs are a good thing in this environment. Indeed, one can’t help but feel that systematic McD/ BK/ KFC bashing is little more than misguided middle class snobbery in very poor disguise. "

So if you tell them that they are eating tulipe that is "middle class snobbery in very poor disguise" these days?
    They make it easy to bash them as their food is utter tulipe and only fit for the dog. Wait. The dog deserves better than that.

It is depressing though when the High Street is dominated by fast food joints and bookmakers.
    I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
      They make it easy to bash them as their food is utter tulipe and only fit for the dog. Wait. The dog deserves better than that.

It is depressing though when the High Street is dominated by fast food joints and bookmakers.
      Well, we did have this nomination in Things That Are Good Abount the UK:

Reasonably priced, widely available, takeaway food.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post

Are you going to head to a restaurant every night? Cook a your own 3 course meal every night?

There is nothing wrong with fast food, the problem is with people always eating fast food.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Well, we did have this nomination in Things That Are Good Abount the UK:
          I'm split. Some takeaways do really good food, but equally, some should really be closed down as a health hazard.

Its just a bit sad when you see all the likes of: Kansas Fried Chicken, Abrakebabra (FFS??!?!), Dixie Fried Chicken, Alabama Fried Chicken, Pappa Pizza and similar clogging up the High Street along with numerous charity shops and bookmakers.

Is it me (probably yes) or is the typical UK High Street a really depressing site?

Bring back Woolies. I enjoyed browsing around in there and spending five quid on a piece of tat that I never knew I needed. Good for lightbulbs though.
          I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Are you going to head to a restaurant every night? Cook a your own 3 course meal every night?
            These are my first two choices. I think my third is buying cheese and cold meat, my fourth eating fruit, my fifth just munching on a bar of chocolate or a packet of nuts.

Then fast food would come in about that point. Probably ahead of going hungry, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Well, it's a job and it pays money, and probably if you work enough hours, it's more than the Dole I guess.

Admittedly it's probably not the number one choice for grads just leaving Uni, but considering the jobs in those fields are poorly paid and few and far between, it's about the only thing we have left to offer our youngsters.

Considering that the world the youngsters inherit is bequeathed to them from their parents and their elders, then we need to accept our share of the blame in all this.

Buying cheap overseas tat is just one nail in the coffin that we as consumers have hammered in to our graves. Can we moan about it when we are responsible for the loss of manufacturing in the UK ?

When a country fails its children, it fails its future.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

There is nothing wrong with fast food, the problem is with people always eating fast food.
                Yes, I cook. Any moron can cook a meal and usually it works out less costly than a decent takeaway. Who said anything about a 3 course meal? Who really eats a 3 course meal every night apart from maybe Michael Winner?

I agree though, it's all about moderation. I see the fast food option as one when I'm either too pissed or knackered to cook (usually Friday evenings).

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  These are my first two choices. I think my third is buying cheese and cold meat, my fourth eating fruit, my fifth just munching on a bar of chocolate or a packet of nuts.

Then fast food would come in about that point. Probably ahead of going hungry, but I'm not sure.
                  My last job I left my house at 6:30 am and got back at 7:00 pm and I do not mind a bit of fast food a couple of night a week, last thing I want to do after coming home is spend more than 15 minutes on food.

I am a time served butcher as well, worked in a shop for 5 years, I spent 20 quid on 2 steaks on Saturday. 40 quid on a bottle of whisky, 40 quid on wine for dinner. There are times for good quality food where you spend money and time, then there are times you want to grab some food.

Comment

Already we have seen Aldi, Lidl and the rest of the budget supermarkets take valuable market share from the big boys, creating thousands of new jobs in the process. Given that Tesco, Sainsbury et al have had it all their own way for so long, that’s surely no bad thing, and some of these companies have proven themselves excellent employers.
                    I have a mate who works for Aldi as a store manager/shelf stacker/checkout operator, he’s kept busy but he earns £36k +£7k bonus so not too bad for a mundane retail job.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

My last job I left my house at 6:30 am and got back at 7:00 pm and I do not mind a bit of fast food a couple of night a week, last thing I want to do after coming home is spend more than 15 minutes on food.

I am a time served butcher as well, worked in a shop for 5 years, I spent 20 quid on 2 steaks on Saturday. 40 quid on a bottle of whisky, 40 quid on wine for dinner. There are times for good quality food where you spend money and time, then there are times you want to grab some food.
                      Make meals (curries, chillies, etc) in bulk and freeze them if you're pushed for time. Better than fast food every time. Each to their own though.

Comment

Working...
                      X