• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Emigrating ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    NZ I think. I'm mulling over whether to give it a go later this year. I'm not sure of the best approach though.
    how is your moral turpitude these days ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Russia.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        NZ I think. I'm mulling over whether to give it a go later this year. I'm not sure of the best approach though.

I went there ten years ago and loved it. It's a great place for a holiday, as is Australia, but not where I would want to spend the rest of my life. If you go, you really need at least three to four weeks to get a real feeling for the place.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Yes I know we've done this one before, but its more urgent this time. So where's the best place with :

1. Good weather
          2. English speaking, reasonable economy with growth prospects in IT
          3. Reasonable property costs
          4. Good schools
          What are usually called The Old Dominions, which means the white-colonised parts of the Empire: Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

South Africa is out if you love your wife or accompanying female partner (or are female): the chance of being raped by someone HIV+ is too high.

I'd like to add my own extra criterion, to make it more difficult:
          aged 57, and not ready to go for the next 3 years for family reasons.
          Now find a place?

Comment

Yes I know we've done this one before, but its more urgent this time. So where's the best place with :

1. Good weather
            4. Good schools
            For me it's down to Singapore, Australia or Canada. They all have pluses and minuses and no where gets it bang on. Singapore 1, 2 & 4. Australia 1,2 ish and 4 ish. Canada 2 ish,3 and 4.

We're planning to get to Singapore sometime later this year, economy dependent then it's either Aus or West coast Canada.

Credit crunch may well have fubar'd all that though.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

1. Good weather
              4. Good schools
              Vancouver,Canada ticks all the boxes

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                snip
                Doesn't Canada fail the 'good weather' test? Depends how you like your weather I guess. Not sure what the IT growth prospects are down under but when I was looking at Aus last year the salaries/rates appeared pitiful. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                  Vancouver,Canada ticks all the boxes
                  The IT box? Not from what I've seen in my part of the industry, or I'd be there in a flash.

And the weather box might be dependent on how much you like rain.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Doesn't Canada fail the 'good weather' test? Depends how you like your weather I guess. Not sure what the IT growth prospects are down under but when I was looking at Aus last year the salaries/rates appeared pitiful. I could be wrong though.
                    Wages and rates are good in Sydney, compared to cost of living - not so great when you want to visit other countries on the Aussie dollar. Though I think they've not been hit just yet anything like the way we have, but it's coming to some extent.

Comment

USA. Although I'm put off by the short holidays they get over there.

North-west looks nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X