• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Feedback - Contract applications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Basically, I "fire and forget"
    I have the same problem
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

How old?

I remember making a boot tape out of some new plastic stuff as it was less likely to rip than the paper ones that needed constantly replacing.

Then on a contract a few years later recomending the use of such "plastic" tape as the firm was so tight they wouldn't shell out for rewinders... (only the oldies would probably remember why plastic was better in such a situation)

Oh, and progamming on Hollerith cards. That was fun.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by voron
        Fecking hell, just how old are you people???
        Just I was about to mention IBM DASDS .... ah nostalgia , the days of waiting one day for the compilation of your punch cards, oh dear you left out an asterix in column 80... which generated 890 compilation errors .... youll have to wait another day now to recompile your program !!!!

Those were the days my Friend ...

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
          Just I was about to mention IBM DASDS .... ah nostalgia , the days of waiting one day for the compilation of your punch cards, oh dear you left out an asterix in column 80... which generated 890 compilation errors .... youll have to wait another day now to recompile your program !!!!

Those were the days my Friend ...
          I think youv'e just explained with its taking my flippin developers so long to fix defects!!!! they must still be doing it this way

Comment

Originally posted by omen666
            I think youv'e just explained with its taking my flippin developers so long to fix defects!!!! they must still be doing it this way
            Aye

Maybe, I can tell you there was nothing guaranteed to focus the mind in the knowledge that one slipup and you wouldl have to wait another day for your program to compile.

Mind you this was all a dawdle compared to my previous job as a labourer in Stalinesque fish factory in the Shetlands ... ah but thats another story, now its time for a cuppa tea.

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
              them were the days.......who remembers the 5Gb 5.25" full hight disks, or Seagate ST225, MFM controllers or RLL controllers.
              Me.

First computer I played with had 4k of core (yes those little magnetic ring thingies).

An ASR33 teletype to punch paper tape out on.

A papertape reader to read in the FORTRAN compiler, the source tape, the linker tape.

A papertape punch to punch out the object tape and the exe tape.

A printer of sorts (plus the ASR33...).

A VDU.

Not the usual sort of VDU but a thing that drew proper graphs.

It had one of those funny screens that remember traces so you could run the prog and look at the pretty sinewave or whatever.

And it certainly didn't display text.

Next one was a Commodore PET.

Then a General Automation GA16-220 minicomputer.
              Last edited by zeitghost; 5 October 2005, 13:38.

Comment

Next one was a Commodore PET.

First played with this back in 1984ish, was a superb mulitmedia machine and fantastic music potential via the BEEP command.

Honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  What are you on Alf?

It had a calculator style keyboard and a tape recorder.

OK for 1977 though...

And it had an IEEE488 interface for some reason... weird.
                  I was being a tad facetious there old bean , yes the old IEEE488, hmm was that also used as the printer port ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                    Ah, punch cards. I have seen such things in museums. For me, computers were invented along with Tron.

Comment

Ah yes. Facetious. Not in the Giant Alien Lizard gene pool I'm afraid...

Yup, IEEE488 printer port.

The one and only so far as I'm aware.

Had to shell out £100 (in uninflated 1978 £ notes) to someone to get a box that converted it to serial for yet another ASR33 teletype (as a printer).

Comment

Working...
                      X