• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

scrum masters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i keep reading scum for scrum

Is this correct
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      i keep reading scum for scrum

Is this correct
      No. As others have pointed out - lose the happy clappy crap and its just project management. The advantage is that the scrum master (PM) can tell really quickly when its going tits up, and can fix it.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        ............ scrum master (PM) can tell really quickly when its going tits up, and can fix it.
        can blame someone else.....

Standard project management really.....

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          I know a few Samoan players (since I'm in Rugby League country) and I've never seen them break ribs except on the field.

I can't imagine any of them calling themselves anything arrogant, maybe them being 6-7 ft tall and built like brick privvies they don't feel the need
          Indeed, they're a gentle and humble (in the most dignified way) bunch off the field, but I've played against a few of them and I don't know how they're taught to tackle, but I wouldn't mind a bit of that coaching myself.

Perhaps a job opening for a retired Samoan rugby player; one-on-one tackling coaching sessions.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
            Originally posted by moorfield View Post
            Had an interview with a "Scrum Master" this morning. That was how he introduced himself. The man was a tw@t and somehow managed to get right up my nose. Realising I probably wasn't right for the gig anyway my parting question to him was "You don't take this rubbish seriously - do you?". Look on his face was priceless. Just found out that I'm not "the right fit", hee hee. Maybe my interviewing technique is a little rusty.

Scrum master. Nice. Wonder if he puts that on his bank loan form
            Why quote the first post? We know what you're referring to.

This is how I see it. "Scrum" is the process - and a light one at that. It doesn't take much to run a routine scrum project in fact the idea is it doesn't take any organising. Anyone can read about the process and carry it out.

"Management" is all the clever stuff you have to do to make the process work. Off the top of my head this includes people skills, effective communication, knowing when to change tack, knowing when to escalate issues, recognising and assessing risks. If you have these skills, they are transferable to/from other methodologies.
            "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post

"Management" is all the clever stuff you have to do to make the process work. Off the top of my head this includes people skills, effective communication, knowing when to change tack, knowing when to escalate issues, recognising and assessing risks. If you have these skills, they are transferable to/from other methodologies.
              very scarce around here

Comment

Oh yeah!!! Bring on that Agile methods bollocks!!! You did the right thing by walking from that interview. You be the pig, I'll be the chicken and we'll both take out the scrum-master with sharpened pencils.

Really - in all my days as a PM this has Agile/scrum crap has to be the stupidest, insulting and down right dumb rehash of common sense I have ever had the misfortune to come across. But I'm not alone as plenty of other pro PMs and PGM mgrs won't go near it with yours.

If I ever worked on a project where it was proposed to use such methods I really hope I'd have the dignity to get up, and walk straight out.
                Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                  Oh yeah!!! Bring on that Agile methods bollocks!!! You did the right thing by walking from that interview. You be the pig, I'll be the chicken and we'll both take out the scrum-master with sharpened pencils.

Really - in all my days as a PM this has Agile/scrum crap has to be the stupidest, insulting and down right dumb rehash of common sense I have ever had the misfortune to come across. But I'm not alone as plenty of other pro PMs and PGM mgrs won't go near it with yours.

If I ever worked on a project where it was proposed to use such methods I really hope I'd have the dignity to get up, and walk straight out.
                  Stop sitting on the fence....
                  "take me to your leader"

Comment

We, the potential pigs and chickens have broken down that fence and are now on the loose.

So watch out!!!
                    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

I don’t sit on fences, at least, not until I’ve seen an engineer’s assessment of the torsion, compression and tension strength of the fence.

Comment

Working...
                      X