• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

True colours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post

Could it be that she has be sacked because certain bigoted people at the BBC hate anything Thatcher, and we have an election coming up that the Tories will probably win ? I believe so !!
    You are a little bit crazy...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

... and the person that complained did not employ her. She was obviously biding her time for an opportunity to get at a relative of Thatcher who is obviously a Tory and has a voice denoting higher class !!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        If they hated her so much why did they employ her in the first place?

They sacked her because she used an offensive term which some on here strangely look back on with affection, Jonathan Ross didn't offend an entire race just a few thousand latent fascists Daily Mail readers who didn't even listen to his show.
        Since I am probably in the "strangely" group, I want to say no, I don't have any real affection...and I do not condone applying the term to a person, and I quite see that it is offensive in a racist way to do so.

I am arguing that that is not the same thing as remembering that one once had a golliwog decades ago. I further think, though I can imagine some disagreement, that remembering that is not at all the same as, say, remembering that one once had a "******". So don't start pinning the "must never pass your lips even in jest, in accurate description, or in direct quotation" bollocks to the very word "golliwog".

Edit: I see I got censored here. Why is it that a word itself must never be uttered. Oh CUK, you pusillanimous defenders of the the little Hitlers of PC and their milquetoast sheep!

PS hints can be made available to anyone who can't guess what word was forbidden.

Note: I would like to pre-empt something by insisting that I regard nothing I have said here as being racist. I will refute anyone who may accuse me of such, and pursue it as necessary (by which I mean have my solicitor argue for revelation of ID with a view to defamation proceedings).
        Last edited by expat; 5 February 2009, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          You are a little bit crazy...

You are obviously lacking in intelligence. SMUG

Comment

Grumble, grumble...political correctness gone mad!

My friend the wiki says this about the Golliwog

The "Golliwogg" (later "Golliwog") is a character of children's literature created by Florence Kate Upton in the late 19th century, inspired by a blackface minstrel doll which Upton had as a child in America. The character, depicted in the books as a type of rag doll, was reproduced, both by commercial and hobby toy-makers as a children's toy. The toy was known as a "golliwog", and had great popularity in North America, Britain, Europe and Australasia, into the 1960s. While home-made golliwogs were sometimes female, the golliwog was generally male. For this reason, in the period following World War II, the golliwog was seen, along with the teddy bear, as a suitable soft toy for a young boy.
            So, the debate is...did she make a racist remark in saying the tennis player looked like a childrens doll? Will I get banned for saying the Britney Spears looks like Barbie?
            Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

It was only offensive if aimed at a person personally, but this was not as it was in a PRIVATE CONVERSATION. Jonathan Ross's insults were aimed directly at an old man and his granddaughter over the phone... IE PERSONAL.

It's amazing how bigots raise their ugly heads when they are on a losing run.
              So it's OK to say racist things, as long as they're not in earshot?

I couldn't really care less what she said. I don't think it was extremly racist, but she's a celebrity with a public profile. She ought to be aware that comments like that will cause her problems.

I didn't follow the story too closely, but I was under the impression that the BBC gave her ample opportunity to apologise, but she refused as she didn't feel she'd done anything wrong.
              If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

You are obviously lacking in intelligence. SMUG
                Obviously.

You make up a bizarre hypothesis then bring out some hearsay that barely supports it. You should be smug. You are definitely the intelligent one here.

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by dwm009 View Post
                  Grumble, grumble...political correctness gone mad!

My friend the wiki says this about the Golliwog

So, the debate is...did she make a racist remark in saying the tennis player looked like a childrens doll? Will I get banned for saying the Britney Spears looks like Barbie?

BANNED !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
                    So it's OK to say racist things, as long as they're not in earshot?

I couldn't really care less what she said. I don't think it was extremly racist, but she's a celebrity with a public profile. She ought to be aware that comments like that will cause her problems.

I didn't follow the story too closely, but I was under the impression that the BBC gave her ample opportunity to apologise, but she refused as she didn't feel she'd done anything wrong.

She apologised and that should have been enough but the BBC obviously had an agenda here. One day when we are able to read people's thoughts I can see us locking people up for thinking. If you cannot have an innocent private conversation without somebody with an agenda publicising it, we are on a slippery slope.

Comment

Originally posted by dwm009 View Post
                      Will I get banned for saying the Britney Spears looks like Barbie?
                      Doubt it as the similarity is obvious. I mean they both have plastic t`ts don't they?

Comment

Working...
                      X