• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Queen "might be racist"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    I suppose the dividing line here is whether you would be comfortable calling someone a '***' as this is where the term comes from. I wouldn't.

As has been stated, it all stems from less enlightened times.
    The dividing line between what and what else?

Do you mean, the question of whether it is acceptable to any given individual to sell golliwog dolls is decided for that individual by his or her own attitude to calling someone a "***"?

Or that whether it is acceptable at all, is dependent on whether "people in general" wouldn't use the word?

Or do you mean that even owning or remembering golliwogs from childhood is unacceptable because some people are unhappy that the word "***" exists?

It may seem like pedantry but when one starts forbidding other people to do things, I think one is obliged to be clear about the reasons.

Comment

Working...
    X