• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please read with positivity specs on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    From what I read these people who complain are at the trailing edge of a civilisation. I like to think of it as a anti-pattern for a failing society. Next step is economic collapse, then revolution or invasion.
    People complaining, is actually a good thing. It ensures that society is constantly improving, and that the morally acceptable bar is always rising.
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

suityou, I can totally empathise... All good responses, and I'll echo milan's offer - if there's anything we can do to help you with your cv, or search strategy, ask away.

Chin up, it's not all bad out there, and most of us feel this way at some point.

Comment

Get with the program grandad. Its not that bad.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          What would my 2 year old and pregnant wife
          isn't your wife a bit young to be pregnant at the age of 2? eek
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I was walking down my local high street last Saturday when I noticed a ‘yoof’ having an altercation with a respectable looking middle age bloke who was walking with his partner and dog, I don’t know what started it but it ended with the middle aged guy just walking away whilst the ‘yoof’ was waving his hands in the air shouting “I’ll carve you up ****** ******”.

Everyone around was looking at the ‘yoof’ in complete disgust whilst he wandered off without a care in the world. I'm not a violent man but I really wanted someone to knock him out so the high street congregation could all go over one by one and kick the little fecker whilst he was down.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I'm not a violent man but I really wanted someone to knock him out so the high street congregation could all go over one by one and kick the little fliper whilst he was down.
              In the last few years I took the decision to start weight training and kick boxing. I'm in my late 30's but I felt I needed to be able to defend my family, and myself properly. So, now I don't get overly worried when stared at by a yoof, because I know I can take his head off his shoulders if I needed to. Plus of course, I am fitter than I have been since I was a teenager...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I was walking down my local high street last Saturday when I noticed a ‘yoof’ having an altercation with a respectable looking middle age bloke who was walking with his partner and dog, I don’t know what started it but it ended with the middle aged guy just walking away whilst the ‘yoof’ was waving his hands in the air shouting “I’ll carve you up ****** ******”.

Everyone around was looking at the ‘yoof’ in complete disgust whilst he wandered off without a care in the world. I'm not a violent man but I really wanted someone to knock him out so the high street congregation could all go over one by one and kick the little fliper whilst he was down.
                When I was a Glastonbury last year we had the misfortune to pitch near a group of lads, one of which shouted out to basically anyone who went past "I'll cut you up". His mates thought this was hilarious. Now besides the point that this is the complete opposite of what Glastonbury is about, it seems we've crossed another line of what was considered taboo to now being the norm. I'm sure it was just a "laugh", but I don't really consider that socially acceptable - am I just being old?
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Wow,

Some really through provoking replies. Thanks to everyone. A lot to think about and I certainly will.

Initially my responses are :

[Moral decline has always been around] : Prolly right. History shows us this. Refocus needed.

[Do something about it rather than just complain] : This one really set me thinking. I shall be researching this. This is just the kind of thing I can really get behind.

[Be more flexible over geographical area, rate etc and reassess CV] :
                  I am certainly being flexible over geographical area, and am entertaining prospects all over UK. I am being flexibleish over rate, maybe need to be more so. My CV has been honed over the years and I am pretty happy with it, I have also had good feedback over the years from various pimps who say it is very "impressive" and user friendly. I know there is no perfect CV, and we can always improve but I don't think it is holding me back. Rather I think most jobs posted these days are bogus, and the ones that aren't have 65K applicants. I just got my BCS membership through so I can at least put that on there now, and I have some MCPs, and I am looking to add to them. Also investigating becoming CITP.

[What are of IT are you in?] : Software development. Come up through the ranks from back in the day writing cheesy VB apps for Windows 3.11, now designing (and building) enterprise apps, data modelling, systems analysis, business analysis. Most MS technologies, although I am still a total nerd and play around with Linux and gcc gtk+ apps in my spare time.

[Get with the program grandad] : Were you walking around the Mall this afternoon with a vexacious expression walking through people?
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The grandson of a friend of my parents was kicked to death in December.

Over a mobile phone.

His mother was told not to go and identify the body.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      [Get with the program grandad] : Were you walking around the Mall this afternoon with a vexacious expression walking through people?

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                      X