• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working away..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Is it true that HMRC limit expenses to 25.00 a day in the UK?
    Not sure, a tad limiting if that's what you're forced into doing.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Sorry, I misunderstood. If I was paying I would probably drive myself and park at Heathrow.
      Yes, that's what I've done. It's a couple of hours but at least it's not multiple public transport segments, which TBH I'm not on for on Monday morning

... once you work out a route. Satnav says just take the M25
      So I say no to that and it says M1 right into central London then
      So I either drive through Uxbridge and stuff, which is slow, or down to High Wycombe and in the M4, which is long and risks an M4 disaster. Like I said, Heathrow's location leaves something to be desired: there is no public transport anywhere but London, and road connections elsewhere are too variable.

Must need another runway

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Not sure, a tad limiting if that's what you're forced into doing.
        I don't know for sure since I haven't managed to work in the UK for years, but I think I have heard that this is the limit for a person to claim (unless he's an MP of course ). Your company can pay more than that but over 25.00 is not allowed against tax ... I believe but am not claiming to know, perhaps someone could enlighten?

Comment

Interesting timing this thread as I've possibly just boomed contract wise but worried about doomed marriage wise.

Wife and two small kids and current contract very close to home so seeing lots of the kids, home for bedtimes every day etc.

Possibly about to be handed a dream contract by the same company after this one finishes but not at this site (probably Edinburgh or London) so wondering what to do. I'm not going to put money and career in front of family but likewise it would be stupid to not consider it. Plus being handed a contract at most probably a better rate than I'm on is not to be sniffed at.

Any advice from the married with kids brigade? Preferably ones that aren't now divorced

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
            Interesting timing this thread as I've possibly just boomed contract wise but worried about doomed marriage wise.

Wife and two small kids and current contract very close to home so seeing lots of the kids, home for bedtimes every day etc.

Possibly about to be handed a dream contract by the same company after this one finishes but not at this site (probably Edinburgh or London) so wondering what to do. I'm not going to put money and career in front of family but likewise it would be stupid to not consider it. Plus being handed a contract at most probably a better rate than I'm on is not to be sniffed at.

Any advice from the married with kids brigade? Preferably ones that aren't now divorced
            Got any stats for the size of that group?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Got any stats for the size of that group?
              I knew it would be on the cards (working away rather than divorce) just thought I could work as far south as Birmingham and North as Leeds without too much trouble so thought overnight stays wouldn't really catch up with me.

The role would be exactly the area I've wanted to break into for a while, my true calling as it where.

Comment

I knew it would be on the cards (working away rather than divorce) just thought I could work as far south as Birmingham and North as Leeds without too much trouble so thought overnight stays wouldn't really catch up with me.

The role would be exactly the area I've wanted to break into for a while, my true calling as it where.
                No easy answer to your dilemma. The correct choice would depend on your unique circumstances. I would consider the following:

- Are you likely to get this or a similar opportunity again?
                - How long will the contract away from home be?
                - How important to you is being around for kids birthdays etc?
                - Does your missus understand the opportunity from your perspective as ultimately (if you're like me anyway) we don't do this for fun and the end result may mean better quality of life and opportunities for her and the kids.

Good luck.

Comment

Honestly suggest that you discuss it with the family. Might be helpful to be clear on the aspect of breaking into the right area, the possible - no, likely - future benefits of that, and an idea of how long you expect to be working away.

Comment

I still don't have details yet so it's just giddy kipper stage but it's a "Head of" role so I'd imagine I'll have IR35 to contend with too.

Shouldn't get too stressed about it until a contract is in front of me I suppose.

Comment

Did a 2 year gig 200miles away. After 6 months alone in a B&B, the wife (who wasn't working at the time) agreed to come live darn sarf with me.

Depends on your circumstances, but if you're in a position to take them with you then why not?
                      'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                      X