• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the longest you had to wait for a contract after being offered?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Got a call this morning from the pimp. Needed to know my company reg no. I guided him to the scanned image of my certificate of incorporation that he asked me to email him last week.

Then he sent me the same questionaire again to fill out.

He sounds young. Then he muttered under his breath - I never did one of these limited company ones before.

In a peverse way, I am reassured because it means I am kept waiting not because of the nefarious underhand dealings of the client, but because of the pimps general incompetency.

On the other hand, this incompetent is making money out of me, and is probably only just old enough to shave.

Never believe an agents word. You should keep looking regardless of what they say. It also increases the possibility that a better offer may arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
      Never believe an agents word. You should keep looking regardless of what they say. It also increases the possibility that a better offer may arise.
      Ab-so-effin-lutely. Just to repeat the important bit: never believe an agent's word.

Find another contract anyway. That's win-win: at best you get the choice, at worst you have something. No, seriously: scouting for work is part of what you do. It's normal to keep doing it. The way that a client or agent gets you to stop doing it is by giving you a contract, not by giving you a bit of unsupported verbal encouragement.

And never love a contract that you don't have (I think it was me that said that, and I think it's pretty good though I say so myself).

And never believe an agent's word.

Comment

I once "waited" about 18months (or put another way 3 other contracts).

I worked on a project that got "held up" due to other priorities.....
        The Client asked "Would you come back and finish off when we start up again"........
        I started another contract..... at a VG Rate......
        I Spoke to (ex)Client again..... still "waiting"........
        I renewed........
        Spoke to (ex)Client again.... still "waiting" but getting nearer.... What rate would I want..... (as I was getting a little peed) I named a monster Rate (never expecting to hear any more).....
        New contract.... much poorer rate.... downturn in market etc......
        Spoke to (ex) Client... still waiting......
        Plod on... near end of contract
        (ex)Client contacted me!!! Could you still do it for the previously mentioned rate??
        Me (straight faced) well as we had previously discused the rate blah blah blah.....

Finished contract and started back at (ex)Client on VVG Rate.....

I believe the word is BOOMED!!

But that was years ago - not expecting it this time!!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          I have done: my current contract is direct. If this ends soon, as it might, my next 2 possibilities are also with direct contacts but the clients' HR will not work directly with contractors, I would have to find an agency and work through them.
          Is it really an agency you have to find - might you be better off through an umbrella if they already have an umbrella on their purchasing system?
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            Is it really an agency you have to find - might you be better off through an umbrella if they already have an umbrella on their purchasing system?
            Possibly. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. As Ted Kennedy said to Mary Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Possibly. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. As Ted Kennedy said to Mary Jo.

Comment

Just had a call from the agent. They are putting the start date back ANOTHER week, as they are still waiting for the HR department of the client to get the paperwork together.

I did ask what the hold up was, but got a non-answer and told that they have been chasing daily.

A part of me thinks this is because they didn't get budget signoff first, and are struggling to do so.

I am back looking of course, and have been for a few days. Kin quiet out ther still though.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                X