• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thick Northerners dragging down the South

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I think it might have been. I found out recently that the unemployment rate (at least in terms of claiming benefits) is basically the same in Scotland as in the UK as a whole. That did surprise me, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't so when I left Glasgow in 1974 to find work.

So maybe Glasgow is too prosperous now to be the traditional fertile ground for Army recruitment That would be a good thing, though: I hate to think of kids being sent to die for the American oil empire just because they couldn't get a job.
    A relative was a major in an elite regiment. He said he always felt part of the Tony Blair spin machine. Not what he joined up for.....

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I think it might have been. I found out recently that the unemployment rate (at least in terms of claiming benefits) is basically the same in Scotland as in the UK as a whole. That did surprise me, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't so when I left Glasgow in 1974 to find work.

So maybe Glasgow is too prosperous now to be the traditional fertile ground for Army recruitment That would be a good thing, though: I hate to think of kids being sent to die for the American oil empire just because they couldn't get a job.
      I think this was talked about before on here, the Glasgow unemployment rate is actually pretty good, somewhere around 3.5%, the incapacity benefit rate is touching 17% though

Salmond really was taking the piss last week when he said that Glasgow had the potential to be an economic powerhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I think this was talked about before on here, the Glasgow unemployment rate is actually pretty good, somewhere around 3.5%, the incapacity benefit rate is touching 17% though

Salmond really was taking the piss last week when he said that Glasgow had the potential to be an economic powerhouse.
        My list

Originally Posted by BrilloPad
        Political party
        Comedian

SNP
        Alex Salmond

Comment

Working...
        X