• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Watch out pensioners...you're marked.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n5gooner
    ok if it is just a fine, and the fine is less than you'd make in two weeks of working, then just pay the fine......sounds the best idea.....
    Sorry n5gooner, you misunderstand, probably I was not clear. You get fined if you do jury service when not eligible to do so (you are on parole, a high court judge, clinically insane, etc). If you refuse to do your jury service or don't turn up, then it's showertime with Bubba.

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz
      well thue Uk police state at work again..
      now, offending the New Lie has become a "terrorist act"
      what a joke. Who are the terrorists, excepted the war criminal Tony Blair and his minions?
      violence against the state is legitimate in such a state, i dont know why the IRA is leaving armed struggle.
      Careful, sappatz, by standing up for the old codger you are "glorifying terrorism", and we all know what that leads to in New Labour's One Party Police State.

Comment

Back luck, Lucifer. I hope you get a simple case of Janet caught nicking tins from Tesco.

As I stated in a previous post, the incident with the old man perfectly illustrates that the government and police cannot be trusted with increased power. WE ARE ALL VULNERABLE. It doesn't matter if you have never so much as returned a library book late. All it requires is a case of mistaken identity or some wacko to take a dislike to you and lodge a complaint and that's it

Comment

Me too, Voron, me too. Contesting fines on overdue library books is about as high profile a crime as I want to be sitting on.

On the other matter, yes absolutely. All it would take is someone to tell PC Plod they heard Chico banging on about how suicide bombers are doing a wonderful job, and that's it...

In fact, now I come to think about it...

Comment

Is there a list of organisations which you can join which would make you unsuitable. For example if you were a fully fledged member of the BMP - you don't have to support them, but would have thought it would make you unsuitable for certain cases.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
              Is there a list of organisations which you can join which would make you unsuitable. For example if you were a fully fledged member of the BMP - you don't have to support them, but would have thought it would make you unsuitable for certain cases.
              A friend of my mother's got out of it at the last minute at the bit where you've been introduced to the case and they ask if there's any reason why you shouldn't sit (usually this is because you know somebody involved in the case). It transpires that the gentleman in the dock was a black guy and she crossed her fingers behind her back and said that she was an extreme racist and that as a consequence she could not give him a fair hearing. She was immediately discharged and sent home, card marked as civic duty performed.

Comment

Ok so that works. So go and sit and state that you cannot possibly give the person a fair trial based on some made up reason.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                  Ok so that works. So go and sit and state that you cannot possibly give the person a fair trial based on some made up reason.
                  If it's something like "I know the accused", normally you'd just be assigned to another case. I'm guessing in this instance she was sent home because everyone up before the beak that week was from an ethnic minority.

Comment

Not sure if it is the same here, but the way it works in Australia is that 30 potential jurors are paraded before the lawyers before the case. The defense is allowed to object to 12 jurors and the prosecution can object to 6. In this way you get 12 jurors who more or less satisfy the demographic that the defense wants.

With this in mind, consider dressing particularly chav-like or scruffy and hope you get thrown out by the prosecution.

Comment

FFS it's not difficult to get out of jury duty

Just tell them you have a job, pay taxes and go to church regularly.
                      Feet won't touch the ground on the way out.
                      Why not?

Comment

Working...
                      X