• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Watch out pensioners...you're marked.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ducked Jury service twice, they accepted my deferal the first time and the second it coincided with my Uni finals. They were very pleasant about it.

Daft thing is I agree it is a civic duty and actualy would like to do it.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      I ducked Jury service twice, they accepted my deferal the first time and the second it coincided with my Uni finals. They were very pleasant about it.

Daft thing is I agree it is a civic duty and actualy would like to do it.
      Things have changed a lot, Gunman. These days you would be at the mercy of the grumpy civil servant processing you as they would say you knew in advance when your finals were and it's your fault for not telling them at the time. There are discretionary exceptions made of course, and this would probably be one of them. Under the new rules, once you are called basically you will be doing jury service sometime within the next 12 months (unless you are in the funny farm or are a judge).

That's a commendable civic attitude, Gunman, but there are many, many cases of peoples' lives being destroyed by jury service. They end up in dangerous gansta cases and after the trial have to change their identity or flee the country, the get called for 3 year fraud trails and lose their job, spouse and family. Remember, your employer is not obliged to pay you while you serve, you get a pittance of a daily rate (ca. £20) if they don't. They can even fire you. If you're self employed, you get jack. Could your family survive without any income from you for an extended period?

I'm dreading it.

Comment

I thought if you were self employed you "may" be able to get out of it if you were the main income earner....is that not the case?
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

Can this be quoted as "risk" in an IR35 case? or at least used as some sort of pointer against MOO or something...... hmmm I wonder.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
            I thought if you were self employed you "may" be able to get out of it if you were the main income earner....is that not the case?
            Nope, afraid not. They aren't totally unreasaonble though. If you really can prove (and you need to produce proof) that serving on a long case would bankrupt or severely financially impact you, they will do their best to limit your service to two weeks.

Comment

Lucifer Box: You do no that it is illegal to serve on a jury if you know you are ineligible?
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Lucifer Box: You do no that it is illegal to serve on a jury if you know you are ineligible?
                I don't no, but I do know that is it. The penalty is a fine rather than imprisonment though.

Lucifer in "Adrian Molesworth" mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                  I don't no, but I do know that is it. The penalty is a fine rather than imprisonment though.

Lucifer in "Adrian Molesworth" mode.

ok if it is just a fine, and the fine is less than you'd make in two weeks of working, then just pay the fine......sounds the best idea.....
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    That's a commendable civic attitude, Gunman, but there are many, many cases of peoples' lives being destroyed by jury service. They end up in dangerous gansta cases and after the trial have to change their identity or flee the country, the get called for 3 year fraud trails and lose their job, spouse and family. Remember, your employer is not obliged to pay you while you serve, you get a pittance of a daily rate (ca. £20) if they don't. They can even fire you. If you're self employed, you get jack. Could your family survive without any income from you for an extended period?
                    and guess what - The Government doesn't give a toss. In fact the more iniquitous the jurors' losses attendant on jury service, and the more of a burden people see it as, the better because the Government would love to abolish juries altogether and try cases the EU way with a couple of civil service judges going into a huddle and deciding the verdict and the sentence. Much more sensible and controllable, as they see it.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

police state

well thue Uk police state at work again..
                      now, offending the New Lie has become a "terrorist act"
                      what a joke. Who are the terrorists, excepted the war criminal Tony Blair and his minions?
                      violence against the state is legitimate in such a state, i dont know why the IRA is leaving armed struggle.

Comment

Working...
                      X