• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

book recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    'The woman in white' is really good too.
    Hmm. Might give it a go. Thanks

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Anything by Chuck Palaniuk or Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Originally posted by DogTown View Post
        Ugh! Sci-fi - LAME

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Ben Goldacre's Bad Science.

It seems like I've been waiting YEARS for that to come out. Maybe because I have.

Should be compulsory reading for ... everyone.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            Ugh! Sci-fi - LAME

I don't believe Chuck Palaniuk has ever written any Sci fi?

Maybe some of Kurt Vonnegut books have Sci-fi twist, but mainly political, moral, dark humor I would say

Comment

Another vote for Vonnegut - he does Sci Fi and non-sci fi so you can choose. My current read is "nothing to be frightened of" by Julian Barnes - excellent.

Comment

Ben Goldacre - Bad Science

Idiot Nation (Dailymash)
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Anything by Le Carre. Just finished "Absolute Friends" for the second time and now I'm on to one of my Christmas presents - "A Most Wanted Man".

Comment

I'd recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series.

Military Sci-Fi set in the Warhammer 40K universe.

The Ghosts are a band of Imperial Scouts, who are rag-tag at the beginning, until Gaunt comes along. They are not loved by the more regular units, and seen as "misfits" and lower-class soldiers by everyone else.

However, the new Commissar Gaunt is not cut from the same cloth as most other Generals, and his priority is to his men, even if his insubordination to his peers lands him in constant hot trouble.

I was a little wary about reading the Warhammer 40K books, because I assumed that since their customers were mostly teens, the writing would reflect that.

Eg.."The Space Marine let out a massive roar and fired his bolter, which went Badda-Badda-Badda at the slimy Ork."

I am pleased to say that I was wrong, and Dan Abnett is a truly engaging and evocative author. This isn't "Gung Ho"...it's dirty, dangerous and political.

It's obvious that he has researched military engagement across multiple eras, and his brings this to his books in all its horrific extremes, as the Ghosts tackle Trench Warfare, Covert Ops, Recon and more.

Characters develop organically across the series, and you do feel attached to them and share their hopes and fears.

Think Sharpe's Rifles in Space, but with Sharpe being a lot more smarter and also even more antagonistic to his peers.
                    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 20 January 2009, 22:18.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                      I'd recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series.
                      I bought the first three books in the Horus Heresy a while back, but haven't got round to reading them yet.
                      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                      X