• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

working / living in middle east ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    iamaprat
    see?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

n o r k = iamaprat

what's a n o r k?
      You don't want to go there!
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

From wikipedia;

' Nork is a residential area of the borough of Reigate and Banstead in Surrey, England. It is located between Banstead and Epsom Downs. The main road through the area from north to south-west is Nork Way, along which a parade of shops is located at the northern end.'
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

n o r k = iamaprat

what's a n o r k?
          I dunno, nobody's ever shown any to us...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
            siamaprateling = siamapratelling

No idea HTF that happened
            s n o r k e l l i n g ?

I just spat coffee all over my monitor and clientco are now looking at me strangely. Oh the joys of a swear filter.

Comment

Yeah I'd like to go to - a word of warning though rents are VERY VERY expensive in the big cities in UAE. I don't know what contract rates are like there but most people go there as permies on expat packages where the accommodation is part of the package.

I've heard as well that there has been a rush of people looking for jobs in the middle east since Oct from USA, UK, Europe and Australia.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                I dunno, nobody's ever shown any to us...
                Speak for yourself!

Comment

I think their is a reasonably good life to be had in places like Dubai with a lot going on.

I met some European chaps when I was on holiday who have lived in Dubai and now run a recruitment agency in Kuwait.

Reckons to me that it is fine to live there if you are happy to be treated like a second class citizen. You are basically there as an Arab resource and thats it. Having said that I have a mate who does siamaprateling and diving charters in Saudi and he loves it.

IMHO, bearing in mind I havent been there

a) I believe most salaries are paid tax free in $ which is more attractive now that the £ has tanked.
                  b) Hot hot hot, you will be praying for a bit of grey UK tulipe weather
                  Going back 20 years or more working in the Middle East was stonking good money, but largely because life there was as boring as hell. Since they built nice sports complexes, satellite TV became the norm etc the money hasn't been quite so good.

When the rebuilding of Kuwait started, quite a few folks I knew fancied a dabble but all they were offered was what they were earning in the UK plus maybe 10%, but no tax to pay. When they turned down those offers, they were regaled with "But it's tax free!". Not worth if it means taking your kids out of school, having to go through the hassle of renting your house out etc., and if you don't last the course, you might find that you haven't spent enough time out of the UK for it to be tax free at all.

So if you can negotiate good pay, fine, but don't get blagged into going there for peanuts.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I thought the rates had dropped because these days most IT contractors there are Indian. Suppose it depends on your skills though, and whether or not these can be sourced from India.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      I thought the rates had dropped because these days most IT contractors there are Indian. Suppose it depends on your skills though, and whether or not these can be sourced from India.
                      Aye. Going back all those years there were two different rates - one for the Indians, and another much better one for the Europeans.

And judging by what I used to see, the Indians were overpaid!
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X