• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old Labour at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't Labour introduce a rule that said children of graduates go to the back of the queue for university places or something? Or am I dreaming again?

I definitely remember something like this. Labour said children of graduates unfairly benefit from having clever parents.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
      Stupid people, i.e. Labour voters, are poor.
      but so are much of the upper class.

tim

Comment

Define 'Rich'

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Didn't Labour introduce a rule that said children of graduates go to the back of the queue for university places or something? Or am I dreaming again?

I definitely remember something like this. Labour said children of graduates unfairly benefit from having clever parents.
          since you are making the claim, you should check. Or maybe it's a fairy story......

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            since you are making the claim, you should check. Or maybe it's a fairy story......
            I thought somebody might remember. Anyway, no it isn't a fairy story, here it is:

University squeeze on children of graduates
            Middle-class pupils face losing out on university places if their parents have degrees and professional jobs, after changes to the admissions system. For the first time, applicants will be asked to reveal whether their parents also went to university, as part of moves to attract more working-class students into higher education.

The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (Ucas) said yesterday that it had also decided that information on the occupation and ethnicity of applicants’ parents should also be made available to admissions officers. Previously this had been held back until after places were offered.

The Government has set aspirational targets for universities designed to get more students from state schools and working-class groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              I thought somebody might remember. Anyway, no it isn't a fairy story, here it is:

University squeeze on children of graduates
              ...and it's not even in the Daily Wail.

Bleeding hell.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by AlanR View Post
                Define 'Rich'
                OK, I'll have a stab at it...

Howsabout not laying in a hospital bed about to have a cancerous tumour removed in an op that you have a 50/50 chance of living through and giving you another 2 years of life, if you're lucky?

A little perspective is a wonderful thing
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  .. Under the radical drive, every authority from Whitehall to local councils will be legally bound to bridge the gap between rich and poor.

Already they need to assess the affect of policies to ensure they do not unfairly discriminate on grounds of race, gender, disability or sexuality.

Now ministers are considering making them take class background into account when making decisions. ..
                  Great. So that must mean the hunting ban can be challenged once more, and inheritance tax, because those discriminate against the upper classes.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

"Old Labour at work": isn't that one of them oxymoron things.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It's all irrelevant, since John Major delivered a classless society.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X