• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Rate cut .5 %

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    Lifetime tracker mortgage with no collar or floor

.... though linked to the Barclays base rate, which they are now saying they cannot guarantee will always be the same as the BOE rate.
    I have a variable rate mortgage with Barclay's (was the Woolwich) and haven't noticed my mortgage repayments going down to speak of in recent months.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Perhaps

Perhaps not.

I seem to meet two types of people, those who took a fixed rate at about 5-6% and figured that whatever happened to rates they were getting a good deal (considering long term average interest rates over say the last 25 years). Then there are those who sign up to a similar rate being convinced that they've signed up when rates were at their lowest and that they can fold their arms certain in the knowledge that they're smarter than average.

I respect people in the first category and admire their philosophical view of the current (assumably temporary) drop in rates.

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I laugh heartily at people in the second group when the smile is wiped from their face. I guess I just don't like braggarts.
      Well I don't remember bragging or even mentioning my mortgage rate prior to today. Furthermore, I simply renewed my mortgage when the previous one expired in July. Not sure where that might put me in your range, however as I couldn't actually give a flying fiddler's fart what you might think anyway, I shall treat your little outburst with the contempt it deserves.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Cousin has a baserate plus .39 with barclays, no collar. wonder if their bbbr will deviate from base. 1.89% interest is ridonkulous.

And yet My dad is still waiting on barclays to adjust their SVR. If they don't, I am hoping new lower fixed rates for 5 years will hit around 4.5% for him to fix at, anything between 4.0% and 5.0% is a great fix imo.

On a side note, Pret a manger's Saag Aloo soup is YUMMALICIOUS today!

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
          anything between 4.0% and 5.0% is a great fix imo.
          If that's the best fix you can get you need to get out more.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            I have a variable rate mortgage with Barclay's (was the Woolwich) and haven't noticed my mortgage repayments going down to speak of in recent months.
            I have one with HBOS. Got some cuts but not as many as I would like. Interesting to see how much of this cut I get.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              If that's the best fix you can get you need to get out more.
              Over 5 years?

Or was that a pun on the word fix?

Or should I get out more?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Over 5 years?

Or was that a pun on the word fix?

Or should I get out more?
                Poor pun. Apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Perhaps

Perhaps not.

I seem to meet two types of people, those who took a fixed rate at about 5-6% and figured that whatever happened to rates they were getting a good deal (considering long term average interest rates over say the last 25 years). Then there are those who sign up to a similar rate being convinced that they've signed up when rates were at their lowest and that they can fold their arms certain in the knowledge that they're smarter than average.

I respect people in the first category and admire their philosophical view of the current (assumably temporary) drop in rates.

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I laugh heartily at people in the second group when the smile is wiped from their face. I guess I just don't like braggarts.
                  Well, I don't fit in either. That's par for me (shrug). I have a mortgage that is discounted 1.59% on Standard Variable Rate. That is what was on offer.

Now SVR doesn't seem to have been driven down far, so I'm still paying what seems to me like quite a lot for a roof over my head. But I'm not compaining, it was my choice to come and live in England. Certainly not bragging either.

Comment

0.69% above BoE lifetime tracker with no collar...

...don't want to appear smug but these are gloomy days so what the hell!

Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      WHS
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X