• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

would you trust indian IT outsourcers ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    do you mean £2k or £200,000?

or do you actually mean two pounds?!
    Yes, 2 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I have seen an outsourced project go 100 times over budget, seriously 100 times, it's hard to believe but true.

Admittedly it was the clients fault, they should have questioned the ability of a bunch of guys in India who had never worked in the financial arena writing a trading platform for £100,000 in a technology they had never used.
      And they paid time and materials not fixed price? Lucrative!
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz View Post
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7815031.stm

those IT indians are tulip. personal experience
        I'm glad you have such high praise for me.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          And they paid time and materials not fixed price? Lucrative!
          Insane, no wonder IBs are totally screwed just now if that is the way they work.

I think they had an attitude when it went over budget that it was cheaper than what was quoted by onshore so they just got in the habit of kicking them another few hundred K. They got into that habit.

When it started to go past 5 mill it was "well they must be nearly finished by now". When it hit 8 million they knew it was time to put a stop to it.

Maybe Plan B should be to set up shop in India, hire 50 rickshaw drivers as java developers and rent them out to big European banks by the day, I mean that is what they are doing just now anyway.

Comment

Insane, no wonder IBs are totally screwed just now if that is the way they work.

I think they had an attitude when it went over budget that it was cheaper than what was quoted by onshore so they just got in the habit of kicking them another few hundred K. They got into that habit.

When it started to go past 5 mill it was "well they must be nearly finished by now". When it hit 8 million they knew it was time to put a stop to it.

Maybe Plan B should be to set up shop in India, hire 50 rickshaw drivers as java developers and rent them out to big European banks by the day, I mean that is what they are doing just now anyway.
            Surely at current exchange rates it must be better to get Europeans to outsource to the UK!
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Another thing I found with outsourcing financial work to India is that by regulation they are not allowed to see the real data in the database, so someone onshore always has an overhead masking the data and making sure they can only see what they are meant to see.

And when the bugs come in they are usually data related "oh, we have a problem with the greeks on this instrument that client X has a call on" but as they are not allowed to see this data it is always someone onshore that has to fix it in a system that is undoubtedly crap.
              that's precisely the problem we're having on the current project I work on.

Comment

You are all picking upon the negatives of outsourcing to the injuns, what about the positives.

1/ The laughs I get from reading their attempts at documentation
                2/ The laughs I get from their attempts at testing
                3/ when they request the needful and doing the muchness
                4/ errr...
                4/ umm...
                5/ thats it!
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                  that's precisely the problem we're having on the current project I work on.
                  Yes, that’s called ‘compliance’. In other words, make it impossible to properly test the applications that handle people’s life savings while ignoring the traders that piss everyone’s money into the wind.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof View Post
                    You are all picking upon the negatives of outsourcing to the injuns, what about the positives.

1/ The laughs I get from reading their attempts at documentation
                    2/ The laughs I get from their attempts at testing
                    3/ when they request the needful and doing the muchness
                    4/ errr...
                    4/ umm...
                    5/ thats it!
                    The money I get paid for retesting all the untested cack they’ve delivered. Sorry, I mean the money I get paid for posting on CUK and getting permies to test the cack the Injuns have delivered.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The Indians will get better at programming but the UK will start to lag behind. Where are the young clever British programmers? One day UK companies may onshore or outsource development to India not because of price, but a paucity of talent.
                      Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                      X