• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

would you trust indian IT outsourcers ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I have seen an outsourced project go 100 times over budget, seriously 100 times, it's hard to believe but true.

Admittedly it was the clients fault, they should have questioned the ability of a bunch of guys in India who had never worked in the financial arena writing a trading platform for £100,000 in a technology they had never used.
    So it cost £10m in the end?? Surely not?

Comment

Admittedly it was the clients fault, they should have questioned the ability of a bunch of guys in India who had never worked in the financial arena writing a trading platform for £100,000 in a technology they had never used.

Much cheapness

WIPRO guys seem OK.
      Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
        So it cost £10m in the end?? Surely not?

Yup, although the last couple of mill was for people in the UK to onshore it and get it ready for going live.

That was the last figure I heard and I think it still had a bit to go as the code was complete mince, pages taking 3 minutes to load etc.

Funniest bit was that a UK team quoted 5 million and management though it was extortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
          Programmers which came from India and once they found out they were tulip - they were just kept there and more were added in the mindset that 2 tulip people are better than one!
          They are, for feeding crocodiles.

Comment

When I was a permie few years back with IBM, i got TUPE'ed to Wipro as they took over the clients outsourcing. They talked a lot during the transfer meetings, but day one on site as a Wipro employee, and HR gave me a bit of paper with voluntary redundancy terms.

They could hire 6-8 people in india for the same it costs them to pay l'il ole me, so I walked with 6 months redundancy. I didn't rate them that much. I think Outsourcing to India is a false economy on the macro scale, I just don't get why considering we have been tagging ourselves as a service industry, for the last 10 years we have been sending shedloads of money overseas to call centres and programmers in India.

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
              I just don't get why considering we have been tagging ourselves as a service industry, for the last 10 years we have been sending shedloads of money overseas to call centres and programmers in India.
              I can't believe how many indians are called Simon, David and Godfrey.

Comment

Yup, although the last couple of mill was for people in the UK to onshore it and get it ready for going live.

That was the last figure I heard and I think it still had a bit to go as the code was complete mince, pages taking 3 minutes to load etc.

Funniest bit was that a UK team quoted 5 million and management though it was extortion.
                I know one really much worse than that. Our team quoted £300k for a security system, and the "tame" off-shore said they'd do it as an add on to their existing system for £2.

The management really thought they were going to get for £2 what we'd quoted for £300,000, and thought it right through until testing when they found out it was just a pop up dialog box with nothing behind it.

Comment

Another thing I found with outsourcing financial work to India is that by regulation they are not allowed to see the real data in the database, so someone onshore always has an overhead masking the data and making sure they can only see what they are meant to see.

And when the bugs come in they are usually data related "oh, we have a problem with the greeks on this instrument that client X has a call on" but as they are not allowed to see this data it is always someone onshore that has to fix it in a system that is undoubtedly crap.

Comment

no

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                      I know one really much worse than that. Our team quoted £300k for a security system, and the "tame" off-shore said they'd do it as an add on to their existing system for £2.

The management really thought they were going to get for £2 what we'd quoted for £300,000, and thought it right through until testing when they found out it was just a pop up dialog box with nothing behind it.
                      do you mean £2k or £200,000?

or do you actually mean two pounds?!

Comment

Working...
                      X