• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you like to die?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."
    Last edited by voodooflux; 6 January 2009, 22:47.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Following on from the life expectancy thread : How would you like to die?

Personally I want to be sh4gging Kylie Minogue : then when I get the vinegar strokes an elephant sits on me.

Similar except she'd be my 79th wife and on the 3 stroke I lost control of the plane...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        You are such a nutter!!

Me, I'd just like it to be quick and not by drowning, I'm terrified of drowning
        One of the most painful ways to go actually. I read it once somewhere - it's takes more than it's share fair of time and the pain felt is excruciating.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          One of the most painful ways to go actually. I read it once somewhere - it's takes more than it's share fair of time and the pain felt is excruciating.
          How do you know?

OK the time spent trying not to drown could be terrible. Maybe that's why so many sailors never learn to swim: if you go down in the ocean, you either have a lifeboat or you don't. If you don't, there's no point in prolonging it.

Comment

If you don't inhale, it should be fairly painless since you'll just pass out due to lack of oxygen. However, depending on the circumstances you'll probably be in panic so controlling your breathing might be hard.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              How do you know?

OK the time spent trying not to drown could be terrible. Maybe that's why so many sailors never learn to swim: if you go down in the ocean, you either have a lifeboat or you don't. If you don't, there's no point in prolonging it.
              I would imagine it is because of the amount of panicking time you get before the lack of oxygen overcomes you.

It is not the way that I would want to go, so it is a bit unfortunate that I have moved to a country where it is quite popular.

Comment

You have to admire Aldous Huxley who asked for and was given LSD on his deathbed.

All aboard now !!!

Comment

Probably not as painful as being burnt to death though.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    I think most people would like to die saving others, the more the better. Here is your headline BP.

'The Daily Bugle. Stop Press. Brillo Pad sensation.
                    For five years the worlds top cellular biologists have been seeking the Perfect human DNA strand. One that provides intelligence, survival of the fittest, physical stregnth, resilliance, nice personality, good looks, resistance to disease, wit and wisdom.
                    That person has been found. Unfortunately he had to be melted down, so the DNA could be sucked out, but we are sure he wouldnt mind. His DNA molecules are now safe in the Albert Hall, along with body parts from other famous world leaders.

In case it all goes wrong, scientists have also identified the antidote. The DNA of the biggest loser has been identified and extracted. A Mrs Brillo Pad said 'it's what he would have wanted''

<ducks>

Fame at last. as long as I get there I dont care how......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Probably not as painful as being burnt to death though.
                      You'd think.
                      Some victims of severe burns report not feeling their injuries while they are still in danger or intent on saving others. Once the adrenalin and shock wear off, however, the pain quickly sets in. Pain management remains one of the most challenging medical problems in the care of burns victims.
                      Here's the article

The ways you can go:
                      Drowning
                      Heart attack
                      Bleeding to death
                      Fire - It's usually the toxic gases that prove lethal
                      Decapitation
                      Electrocution
                      Fall from a height
                      Hanging
                      Lethal injection
                      Explosive decompression

The quickest and painless way...

"Beheading, if somewhat gruesome, can be one of the quickest and least painful ways to die - so long as the executioner is skilled, his blade sharp, and the condemned sits still."

"If you end up losing your head, but aren't lucky enough to fall under the guillotine, or even a very sharp, well-wielded blade, the time of conscious awareness of pain may be much longer. It took the axeman three attempts to sever the head of Mary Queen of Scots in 1587. He had to finish the job with a knife.!"

Drowning
                      The "surface struggle" for breath

Death by drowning has a certain dark romance to it: countless literary heroines have met their end slipping beneath the waves with billowy layers of petticoats floating around their heads. In reality, suffocating to death in water is neither pretty nor painless, though it can be surprisingly swift.

Just how fast people drown depends on several factors, including swimming ability and water temperature. In the UK, where the water is generally cold, 55 per cent of open-water drownings occur within 3 metres of safety. Two-thirds of victims are good swimmers, suggesting that people can get into difficulties within seconds, says Mike Tipton, a physiologist and expert in marine survival at the University of Portsmouth in the UK.

Typically, when a victim realises that they cannot keep their head above water they tend to panic, leading to the classic "surface struggle". They gasp for air at the surface and hold their breath as they bob beneath, says Tipton. Struggling to breathe, they can't call for help. Their bodies are upright, arms weakly grasping, as if trying to climb a non-existent ladder from the sea. Studies with New York lifeguards in the 1950s and 1960s found that this stage lasts just 20 to 60 seconds.

When victims eventually submerge, they hold their breath for as long as possible, typically 30 to 90 seconds. After that, they inhale some water, splutter, cough and inhale more. Water in the lungs blocks gas exchange in delicate tissues, while inhaling water also triggers the airway to seal shut - a reflex called a laryngospasm. "There is a feeling of tearing and a burning sensation in the chest as water goes down into the airway. Then that sort of slips into a feeling of calmness and tranquility," says Tipton, describing reports from survivors.

That calmness represents the beginnings of the loss of consciousness from oxygen deprivation, which eventually results in the heart stopping and brain death.

Comment

Working...
                      X