• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debt Free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun though wasn't it - if you could go back and do it all again would you?
    Acually no, it was more a case of:

Salary - mortgage + bills + other outgoings = deficit therefore live and eat on credit cards.

How the hell people can live properly on a permie wage is beyond me

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
      I don't necessarily see my mortgage being a debt either. I can easily afford the repayments and even in this market, the value of the house covers the outstanding mortgage on it.
      So by that definition a family with 200K mortgage is not in debt, as long as the house will sell for more than that.

That house of yours - who holds the deeds to it?

What happens if you stop making repayments?

Where will you live if you sell it?

Would you want to sell it?

Comment

I only have the morgage, so whenever my mother-in-law pops her clogs (sooner rather than later, please!) and we can flog her house to pay off my remaining mortgage is when I'll be debt free.

Hopefully there will be enough left over to pay the remaining school fee's for the kids and then I can go part-time shelf-stacking until the pensions kick-in.

Job done.
        When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Working...
        X