• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for work, wife up the duff; should I tell agents?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    As contractors aren't we above that kind of PC tulip?
    Nope, you still shouldn't be discriminated againts

tim

Comment

everyone has a few days off at some time. I think saying a few days off in March is fine for now if they ask are you planning any time off otherwise no need to say anything.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        everyone has a few days off at some time. I think saying a few days off in March is fine for now if they ask are you planning any time off otherwise no need to say anything.
        Totally agreed here. If the project is so urgent and desperate it should be up to them to state that so that even taking a week might be a problem, shouldn't be up to you.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

will be in a similar situation next August myself

most clients will be fine with a week off with some notice time, but what if they are not

i know this sounds like permy thinking here, but what would people go with? "my company can't provide jmo21's services in this week (give or take)" and they have to lump (and take risk of client possibly terminating the contract)

i suppose it's essentially my Ltd having to give me statutory paternity time off, and having to make sure client is happy with me not being onsite

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            and take risk of client possibly terminating the contract
            Exactly, if you don't want to take risks go permie.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

It's none of their business.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                most clients will be fine with a week off with some notice time, but what if they are not
                Then you lose the contract half way through. Much better than not getting the contract in the first place.

No good can come from telling agents the truth. I might be more inclined to tell the client upfront, but I probably still wouldn't and would wait until I'd established myself in the role. As long as you give them fair warning they can't really complain, and every manager ought to realise that even contractors take time off.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  As contractors aren't we above that kind of PC tulip?

...Or PC daffodils. Or Lillies!
                  daffodils ?

did someone mention daffodils ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                    "Are you planning on having kids?" is an excellent way to get yourself sued - even in the current climate.
                    Is this still the same for contractors operating through a LTD company?

Comment

me too!

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to see if anyone else has an opinion on it, there seems to be a few different posters around this month...

I am in the same boat as the OP, except i've been benched for 6 months and to say i'm getting a bit nervous with the little fellas impending arrival and no money coming in would be an understatement. Baby's due end of March and I've got an interview Mon which i'm pretty confident about (ever the optimist).

So what do you say, keep schtum or tell client in interview?

Comment

Working...
                      X