• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wine At Posh Restaurant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are willing to drink wine you might as well go the whole hog and recite some poetry and get all smartly dressed too. It will be a bit of a waste of money (and self-esteem) if you don't get to play hide the sausage with her later though.

Comment

Call me a bit of a heretic if you like, but I would pick the 1982 Château Lafite-Rothschild over the 1900 bottle every time.

The 108 year old stuff is not worth the extra £7000 imo.

Comment

If you don't know your wine, play safe and go for the house white. Also, I take it that this is not a first date. If it is, go you your local chinky or tandori. As this is clearly quite a costly do, you should have reasonable expectations that you will be rewarded later that evening. The fact that you're pushing the boat out like this will help in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          Call me a bit of a heretic if you like, but I would pick the 1982 Château Lafite-Rothschild over the 1900 bottle every time.

The 108 year old stuff is not worth the extra £7000 imo.
          Yes, I find that too. After a while one gets sick of that tired old 1900 plonk.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Seriosuly for a moment, all the bottles on that list will be decent drops of wine.

So what matters most is how much you want to impress the lady (assuming of course that she even sees the wine list - which you can probably make sure that she doesn't, unless she is specifically judging you on this of course in which case she will make a point of finding out how expensive the wine you ordered is by making sure she gets to see the wine list herself).

I usually play safe by ignoring the cheapest ones and going for a £70 - £80 New Zealand red when at one of Gordon Ramsey's places.

If you are unsure of which type of wine you should be ordering you can always ask the sommelier for a recommendation. He will suggest a selection spanning a range of prices so slickly that your date won't even notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
              Bourgogne, “La Tufera”, Etienne Sauzet, France, 2006 - 60.00
              for hat price you could get a brass.

Comment

Cheers.

I just wanted a general idea so it wasn't obvious I was scanning the wine list looking for the cheapest, with a couple of things in mind I can just look them up I'm not too fussed about wine as long as it's drinkable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                  Cheers.

I just wanted a general idea so it wasn't obvious I was scanning the wine list looking for the cheapest, with a couple of things in mind I can just look them up I'm not too fussed about wine as long as it's drinkable.
                  Try this website, it's got lots of reviews.

http://www.wineaccess.com/pvt/my-wineaccess.adp

I'd say the Pinot Grigio for 39 or the Bianco for 40 are not bad choices at all. Most of wine choice is up to your taste, for example whether you prefer dry or sweet, fruity or intense, retro-bitter or smooth and so on. So it has to do with your personality too. There is a whole universe to discover behind wine.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Don't fall into the novice trap of ordering the second least expensive wine on the list in an attempt to avoid appearing 'cheap', the restaurant has reputation to keep so they should be perfectly capable of selecting a decent house wine.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Don't forget to tell us if this whole expensive venture works out:

ie. you get your wicked way at the end of the night.

Comment

Working...
                      X