• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give the ex nothing or something ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    rather than listening to us lot, speak to a solicitor who will tell you your rights and what you do and don't owe your ex.

I agree with this idea. You say that she has a 2K stake in your house, but this will be nothing by August. This does not make sense because if there is a stake there then it remains, and if after another 10 years the house value has increased by 100% her 2K stake now would then in theory have a value of 4K. You need to make a full and final settlement/agreement and have it legalised IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      He gave her about 3K and then was going to give her more money until myself and 2 other female friends who have know him the longest individually spent time talking sense into him.
      So you talked him into splitting £3K among 3 of you then?

Comment

sorry, i'm not very clear on this - you mention an agreement drawn up, and legally you don't owe her anything

does that mean she has signed over the house already?

if so, then yes, legally you owe her nothing, so why on earth would you give her any money?!

Comment

Women are parasites, you`ll be subsidising her for the rest of your life through the tax system anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Just one more point - if you weren't married and you want to change the deeds, that'll mean you have to pay a second lot of stamp duty.....
            I was told you only have to pay it on the amount I was buying her out for, so if I paid her £5k no stamp was due.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              if so, then yes, legally you owe her nothing, so why on earth would you give her any money?!
              His conscience. After 9 years he may feel that he ought to. Or he may not.

Once the legalities are sorted it will be something that may cause feelings of regret, or a sense of justification or a simple sense of a good deed done.

It may that he has no sense of any of these, in which case he may regret giving her the money and it may bother him that he's given away the money.

It may be that he doesn't give her the money and over the years feels relieved that he has not because of how his and her lives turn out.

Many other possibilities exist. Only he can make up his mind, based on how he wants to live his life.
              When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

well in the current financial climate, with potential bench time ahead, its a no brainer for me

but like deano says, only OP can decide!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  I agree with this idea. You say that she has a 2K stake in your house, but this will be nothing by August. This does not make sense because if there is a stake there then it remains, and if after another 10 years the house value has increased by 100% her 2K stake now would then in theory have a value of 4K. You need to make a full and final settlement/agreement and have it legalised IMO.
                  He said the house was owned 60/40. Therefore if it gains 100k in value, her share is 40% of that. He needs to get the house signed over, or if not, sold to end any possible future wrangles. The 5k could be part of the agreement. See a solicitor or draw up your own agreement and have it signed in front of witnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                    I was told you only have to pay it on the amount I was buying her out for, so if I paid her £5k no stamp was due.
                    Give her nothing. She is no longer your family so **** her.
                    Anyway, it sounds like you have little equity in the house so you are doing her a HUGE favour by taking it on.
                    I would be putting it up for sale and making sure you warn her that you want recompense for any share of her Neg Equity loss.
                    This should be enough to ensure she gets to a solictor PDQ.
                    Naturallym the house won't sell. After your solicitor has sorted everything out - take it off the market and rent a few rooms out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                      Split with ex of 9 years in June, she left me we weren't right for each other, it wasnt mutal at the time but I agree now it was for the best.

Anyway cut a long story short cant shift the house so I said I would take it on but not pay her anything for her share, reason being is her share is worth 0 now due to housing crash, I said I would take house on to get it over and done with. She is 32, living back at home, has no money and big debts she is now asking me for some £5k-£10k, part of me feels I should help her out but then the other part of me thinks I dont owe her anything we werent married no kids.

Do you think I should give her a few k just to get it over and done with or stand firm and tell her no, my mum recons I should give her £5k.
                      Did you have a joint mortgage, did she pay any utility bills?

Sounds like she might be entitled to something pro rata. Personally I would have given her a few K, surprised she didn't ask before. She had been paying off in effect (now anyway) your mortgage so I would. Legally, she can only get back what she has paid in plus any equity.
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X