• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of the Eldorado dream

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    But what about Spain?
    At least they still have nice weather!

Comment

Are prices in Spain actually dropping?

Seems the estate agent websites are still reporting prices much the same as for the last few years.

Seeing as most of my short holidays in recent years have been a week in a villa with a load of mates, I quite fancy buying something in Spain rather than the UK. Not easy to do research when the internet's full of dodgy data.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Yes, but just like in the UK the market is stagnant - sellers don't want to sell and buyers don't want to buy (at current even reduced valuations). Credit that was driving it all up now dried up and banks don't want to lend until asset prices go back to normality OR buyers make big deposit.

Comment

My heart does not bleed for wealthy people who suddenly find themselves a bit less wealthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            My heart does not bleed for wealthy people who suddenly find themselves a bit less wealthy.
            They are not wealthy dude - they are pensioners who bought relatively cheap houses to retire. Their main mistake is to ignore currency risk (which could have been eliminated if UK joned eurozone) and also hard to predict fall in income due to reduced savings rates. Assumption that their houses are liquid was also incorrect.

While my hearth does not bleed for them, my mind picks on the fact that if UK was in euro then big chunk of problems would have disappeared.

Comment

Seems the estate agent websites are still reporting prices much the same as for the last few years.

Seeing as most of my short holidays in recent years have been a week in a villa with a load of mates, I quite fancy buying something in Spain rather than the UK. Not easy to do research when the internet's full of dodgy data.
              Thinking the same myself mate. Check out these sites

www.kyero.com
              www.eyeonspain.com

Comment

Depends which part of Spain. Concrete highrises and tacky Brit resorts, yes!
                Pretty villages in Mallorca, no!
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Depends which part of Spain. Concrete highrises and tacky Brit resorts, yes!
                  Pretty villages in Mallorca, no!
                  Indeed. I've just come back from a two-day trip to Benidorm (don't ask - it was a stupid idea. Was seduced by a £18 flight from Ryanair. What a tuliphole that town is) and there was all the signs of economic depravation. Many of the skyscraper blocks of apartments had "se vende" boards plastered all over themselves, place was relatively deserted, and most of the bars were empty.

Comment

They had a debate on the radio the other day about this which I overheard.

Basically a load of pensioners calling in and complaining that they can't eat out that often any more, which didn't exactly endear themselves to the other listeners. A couple were asking for the British government to 'bail them out' and even repatriate them, which fell pretty deaf ears.

Comment

An IFA I know used to spend a lot of his time in his villa out there in semi-retirement.

He's the IFA who sold me Nicola Horlick's technology ISA just before it bombed.

I've seen him walking his dog in the rain over here a lot lately.
                      Last edited by Doggy Styles; 21 December 2008, 11:01.

Comment

Working...
                      X