• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panic in the Civil Service - Government considering "Amazing ideas"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I didn't say that and I don't blame anyone, but if enough people do it, it will make things worse.
    Maybe enough people will come to London and force General Elections.

Comment

The real purpose of IR35 revealed - pure speculation at this point

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      another comment on Guido's blog from a Civil Service mole .. There is about to be the most terrible bust up when The Civil Service payroll is suspended for three months!

Have you not wondered about Darling's glum face, Howell's comments? The signs are there. I'm not worried about leaking, I'll be out on my ear soon enough. Lastly, the ideas to tackle this are AMAZING!

December 17, 2008 1:13 PM
      I'm sure this guy(ess) is genuine. There's something about the terse matter-of-fact style.

That parting shot sounds very ominous to me. The most likely idea must be an Argentina-style nationalization of personal savings. <snip>

How about this theory, which takes into account the bit about The Civil Service payroll being suspended.

The Civil Service, or at least large chunks of them (and NHS maybe?) are all given jobs as contractors. Thus the real purpose of IR35 is revealed. Haven't you always wondered about that Friday to Monday bit? It would certainly apply in this case.

This would allow the transfer of the long term Civil Service pension liability elsewhere, or at least freeze its growth.

Wanna take bets on Accenture becoming the largest umbrella company in the UK?

As a final bit of poetic justice, Dawn Primarolo will realize that they used her as a pawn, knowing her hatred of contractors, to implement IR35 when all along the intended victims were her precious Civil Service and NHS.
      Last edited by Sysman; 18 December 2008, 09:04.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        How about this theory, which takes into account the bit about The Civil Service payroll being suspended.

The Civil Service, or at least large chunks of them (and NHS maybe?) are all given jobs as contractors. Thus the real purpose of IR35 is revealed. Haven't you always wondered about that Friday to Monday bit? It would certainly apply in this case.

This would allow the transfer of the long term Civil Service pension liability elsewhere, or at least freeze its growth.

As a final bit of poetic justice, Dawn Primarolo will realize that they used her as a pawn, knowing her hatred of contractors, to implement IR35 when all along the intended victims were her precious Civil Service and NHS.
        Your idea has legs, truly has. Yes, I can see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
          Your idea has legs, truly has. Yes, I can see it happening.
          I think there will be panic - given the Daleks will have perfected the Reality Bomb by nexy year its safe to say that - whoops - now Ive let the cat out the bag.

Crumbs ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Maybe enough people will come to London and force General Elections.
            2 million marched against the Iraq war.

what makes you think governments care what people think?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              2 million marched against the Iraq war.

what makes you think governments care what people think?
              Not as long as they get elected. Well, Brown hasn't been elected to high office, but that will come, I presume.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Not as long as they get elected. Well, Brown hasn't been elected to high office, but that will come, I presume.
                I reckon a Feb election : before the economy gets REALLY bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Yes that could be it!

Oh boy, no wonder there are D notices flying around like confetti (if the mole is to be believed)
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                  X