• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK house prices 'to fall by 30%'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    Quite a few estate agents make quite a bit out of money out of arranging the mortgage for the purchaser.
    With morgage approvals falling such agencies were in trouble months ago.

There is no point buying house now - the prices will fall further and a lot of sellers will have to drop prices, right now they try to avoid selling and this constraints the falls in prices.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      With morgage approvals falling such agencies were in trouble months ago.

There is no point buying house now - the prices will fall further and a lot of sellers will have to drop prices, right now they try to avoid selling and this constraints the falls in prices.
      We sold in April and are now renting. We'll be waiting it out because any price that we can get now will be much better in 6 to 18 months time.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        We sold in April and are now renting. We'll be waiting it out because any price that we can get now will be much better in 6 to 18 months time.

The curse of deflation. It just doesn't stop because everyone is holding off. I don't really agree with this mindset with houses - unless you consider them as just an investment...or a line of credit.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          The curse of deflation. It just doesn't stop because everyone is holding off. I don't really agree with this mindset with houses - unless you consider them as just an investment...or a line of credit.
          I view it as a place to live. But I don't want to pay more for it this year than I could next year. I don't particularly want deflation, but if that's what we're getting, I intend to position myself as best I can to get through it.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post

realistic, sensible pricing

Comment

All this talk of 30 per cent decline should be seen for what it is - scaremongering.

You only have to look at other nations experience of Defalation eg Tokyo where property fell by 85-90 per cent in the early 90's to get a realistic impression of what could be in store.

And property there STILL hasnt recovered 18 years later - so all those bargain basement buyers got their mits burnt as well.

Finally - you dont own a house - it owns you.

Dr Winston O'Boogie
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 15 December 2008, 12:49.

Comment

I think that even without a credit crunchie recession house prices would eventually have caved in. There comes a point where people see the price of a house and say ‘that’s bloody silly; I’m not paying umpty-hundred thousand pounds/dollars/euros for that’, and decide to rent something cheap or not bother ‘trading-up’.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Put an offer in on a place in January for 495,000. Missed out by 150 quid. Been renting ever since.

A bullet well and truly dodged.

Probably saved myself about 150,000.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Probably saved myself about 150,000.
                    You leant a good lesson too - next time you bid make sure you bid xxx,151

Comment

Why would anyone attach any credence to the opinions of a Banker in light of their recent performance in terms of sniffing the wind economically? Bunch of clueless barstewards most of them, and the rest of us are having to bail them out which is even worse!!
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X